Time zones in date fields.

Started by ericmuzy, July 05, 2013, 09:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericmuzy

I understand from the help that unless you specify a specific mask to format date related fields, the time zone should appear (+02:00, as an example).
However, none of the pix I put in a test panel showing a bunch of dates have the time zone showing off (however, when I click on the field to modify the value, the time zone does appear, so it's there)

So I assume there is a default format used by the system that prevents the time zone to appear.

How can I configure IM5 to show the time zone for Date/Time original, and Date/Time digitized?

Also, IM5 does translate some of the date/time into my local time zone. Can I prevent this to happen, and always show the date/time stamp as they are within the XMP, without the time zone adjustment?

Mario

IMatch follows the common rules when it comes to display time information, according to the XMP/MWG rules.
Timestamps recorded with a time zone (supported by EXIF and XMP) are adjusted to your local time zone and formatted using the date and time format configured for the current user in the Windows control panel. So you see the date and time in same format you see other date and time information in Windows.
Other apps, e.g. LR and Bridge do this the same way, AFAIK.

Since ExifTool required a specific format when updating date and time information, IMatch switches to this native format when you manually edit a date or time tag in the Metadata Panel. When you input date and time via the time control, IMatch correctly applies the current time zone to the resulting time, transposing the selected time to UTC and appending your current time zone to it. This is how EXIF and XMP timestamps are supposed to work.

If you need to see the time stamps in your files in their raw and unadjusted formats, you can maybe just display the corresponding variable in the Var Toy or in a custom HTML template.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ericmuzy