Misterious file count ..

Started by Gerd, July 06, 2013, 02:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerd

Dear all,

I have a problem, what I do not understand.

In my Category-View 'Nature' I see a count of 0/561
In the Viewer with 'Show files with hierarchy' and 'Show all levels' I get (above right) 564.
I count the pictures manualy and there are 564 pictures, also if I add the counts of the sub-categories, I get 564.

But if I switch off 'Show files with hirearchy', the Viewer-count changes to 561, and if I count them manually, I count 561 ...

I tried to use the colored pins to find the different 3 pictures.
1. Show Hirarchy, Show all Levels -> 564 pictures; Ctrl + A to mark all, 564 pictures and 564 pictures marked.
2. Click on red pin to set it to all 564 pictures
3. Click on first picture to unmark all
4. Set Show Hirarchy to off -> 561 pictures; Ctrl + A to mark all, 561 pictures and 561 pictures marked
5. Click on blue pin to set and click on red pin to reset for all 561 pictures, so 3 should keep the red pin and not the blue pin ...
6. Click on first picture to unmark all
7. Set Show Hirarchy to on -> 564 pictures
8. Set filter-panel to active, nothing marked -> 564 pictures
9. Mark 'Rating' with 'and', but no other activations -> now in Viewer: 564 (561) -> pictures are visible
10. Mark 'Rating' with 'and', but no other activations -> now in Viewer: 564 (561) -> 0 (561) -> no picures are visible
11.  Mark 'Rating' with 'and' and mark the red pin -> 0 (561) -> no pictures are visible
12. Now unmark red pin and mark blue pin -> 564 (561) -> all pictures visible

It is not by every category, but by some of them ...

In this category 'Nature' are 10 sub-categories, where 2 have also a sub-category, I think, it is called 3 levels ...

Regards
Gerd

P.S. some steps further ...

I marked now all 564 pictures with Ctrl + C and copied them into a special directory via Explorer ... Explorer shows me 564 files to be copied, but for some of them, that the file-name already exists. With option to use unique names I could later found back three renamed files. Now I could look via Explorer physical into the directories, but the files are only exists once!

And also in the directory-view M&F they are only one time. So the category-import/assignment has something doubled in  its background ... 

_______
Regards
Gerd

BenAW

If you assign an image to multiple categories it will show up in more than one when you select "Show Hierarchy" and thus a single image will be counted for each category it has been assigned to.

Gerd

Hi BenAW,

yes, that was it! Thx!

The only question is then, when I copy them via Ctrl + C, why they are copied twice (or more) ? Because the destination on my pc has nothing to do with categories inside IM5. 

Regards
Gerd
_______
Regards
Gerd

BenAW

Quote from: Gerd on July 06, 2013, 03:54:40 PM
The only question is then, when I copy them via Ctrl + C, why they are copied twice (or more) ? Because the destination on my pc has nothing to do with categories inside IM5. 
If you select the same image 3 times in the category view and do CTRL + C these tree images will ALL 3 be ready to be pasted somewhere. If you do this in Explorer, you will of course get a problem with the same filename being used 3 times.

Mario

This seems to be a bug. If a user produces a hierarchical view which spans multiple categories, he can theoretically select the same file multiple times. IMatch should check that and ignore the multiple occurrences of the same file in the selection, for most operations (e.g. copying). I'll need to check that to make sure that this really is done everywhere.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

Found and fixed. Thanks or pointing this out.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook