Move Preference file between machines not working?

Started by Jingo, June 17, 2014, 03:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jingo

Hi.. so, I setup Imatch on different machine and wanted to use the preferences I had established on my first machine on this new machine.. I followed the help file and moved the IMatch5.pts to the folder but the settings are never used.  I've deleted the file and copied the "correct" one in a few times and after restarting, the "default" settings are always applied.

Am I doing something wrong?  I'd love to get my settings onto the new machine because I spent a long time configuring everything...  Also, do the pts file contain any custom thumbnail detail or other metadata panel "presets"?  Is there a way to get this data onto the new machine without manually redoing all the lines?  Thx.

Mario

Which settings?
Some settings are datbase-specific, some are computer-specific and others are user specific.
The typical "problem" is that the user uses different user names on both computers. And IMatch does not make settings of other users available.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

I thought that if I moved the settings files from one PC to another, then ALL the settings would appear (i.e.: no banner, metadata 2 tab, etc) but this is not happening.

Mario

The Banner is user specific. Do you use the same user name (case-sensitive!) on the other computer?
Panel widths etc. and other machine-dependent layout options are per-computer.
Some settings are also per-database. Do you use the same database on the other computer?

See Traveling with IMatch in the IMatch help for further information.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

Ok.. no - the computer names are completely different as are the users (one if my work machine and the other is my home machine).  From reading the help file about settings, it sounded like I could just move them between the 2 machines and voila:

Copying Your Settings to Another Computer
If you get a new computer or you use IMatch on multiple computers (desktop in the studio, laptop while traveling) you can copy all your settings as follows:

Make sure IMatch is not running. This ensures that all settings in the settings database are current
Copy the imatch5.pts file to the other computer
That's it. By copying a single file, all settings are on the other computer. When you make changes to the settings file on the other computer (which you always do when you work with IMatch), remember to copy it back to the original computer so you have the same set of settings everywhere.

Sounds like this may need to be edited then to indicate this only works if the user and computer names are the same?

Mario

IMatch stores per-user, per-database and per-computer settings.

If you use the same user name on both machines, you will use the same settings. Different users have different settings, which is also for data security and privacy.

This is explained a few paragraphs above the paragraph you quoted.

If you have feedback, comments or suggestions for help topics, please use the feedback link available at the bottom of each help page. This sends me an email with the help topic id and your feedback. I collect these feedbacks and work on them in batches for each new IMatch release.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator