Replacing an import script with built-in IMatch functions

Started by DavidOfMA, June 20, 2014, 07:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidOfMA

I currently use a script in IMatch 3 to do initial file renaming and categorizing on file import. Before I go through the labor of learning how to convert the script to IMatch 5, I'm wondering if I can eliminate all or most of it with built-in functions in IMatch 5. The script now walks the folder tree of the imported files and:

1. Renames the files in this format: YYMMDD-HHMMSS-xx-Model, where "xx" is a unique number to account for multiple images captured within a second of each other when there is no hundredths' stored in the file, and "Model" is the camera model name (LX-7, FZ200, DMC-G3, etc.) The script parses out the brand name when it has been included.

2. Assigns a category based on the model name and assigns the "RAW" category to RAW files based on a table of file extensions.

3. Assigns a few other default categories that I assign to all newly imported files.

4. Creates a folder category for the imported files and then switches to category view so I can cull out bad files and continue to categorize the imported files.

It looks to me like I can use the Renamer to do most or all of the file renaming I now do in the script, but I'm not sure how I would use it to create the "Model" part of the new filename, particularly if I need to remove the camera manufacturer (for instance, my Samsung cameras produce a long string of largely irrelevant text before they finally show the camera model). Can this be done?

It also looks like I can create data-driven categories that will automatically assign the files to the correct camera manufacturer and model. Is that correct? Can I also use data-driven categories to automatically assign the "RAW" category for certain file extensions?

Can I select a group of categories I always want to assign to imported files? I'm assuming the answer is "yes," but I haven't found where in the documentation this is described.

Thanks in advance for any help on this. It's one of the key things I need to replicate before embracing IMatch 5.

David

herman

Quote from: DavidOfMA on June 20, 2014, 07:59:15 PMIt looks to me like I can use the Renamer to do most or all of the file renaming I now do in the script, but I'm not sure how I would use it to create the "Model" part of the new filename, particularly if I need to remove the camera manufacturer (for instance, my Samsung cameras produce a long string of largely irrelevant text before they finally show the camera model). Can this be done?
I am not sure if this can be done the way you like it.
The model can be inserted, but that may come with "unwanted" information.
As the additional information may differ between makes and models I doubt if one renaming rule can cover all.

Quote from: DavidOfMA on June 20, 2014, 07:59:15 PMIt also looks like I can create data-driven categories that will automatically assign the files to the correct camera manufacturer and model. Is that correct? Can I also use data-driven categories to automatically assign the "RAW" category for certain file extensions?
I would say "yes" to both, just tried it on my machine.
The out-of-the-box sample data driven categories have already a make and model category if I recall correctly?

Quote from: DavidOfMA on June 20, 2014, 07:59:15 PMCan I select a group of categories I always want to assign to imported files? I'm assuming the answer is "yes," but I haven't found where in the documentation this is described.
Yes you can.
You can set this in preferences > indexing

Hope this helps,

[edit]
I attach a screenshot showing how you can collect raw files using a data driven category.
[/edit]

[attachment deleted by admin]
Enjoy!

Herman.

Mario

For the model problematic: Please see the help on Variables and variable functions. There are functions which can replace text in variables, so you can strip unwanted data from the model tag before the Renamer uses it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook