Max. Size of Thumbnail in FileWindow

Started by ben, June 21, 2014, 12:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben

Hi,

Is there a maximum size of the shown thumbnail in the file window?

When using the "only thumbnail" layout and moving the zoom-slider nearly to the right, the thumbnail doesn't get bigger any more.
I would like that the thumbnail uses all the space of its tile. Is that somehow possible?
(see my screenshot)

Ben

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

The thumbnail size is limited to the maximum thumbnail size you have specified when creating the database, or under Edit > Preferences > Database.
Usually thumbnails are generated at 300 pixel.

If the thumbnails for your files (RAW) are generated smaller than the requested database site, see The WIC Codec FAQ
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ben

ok, that worked. I forgot to "force update" the thumbnails.

Mario, would it be very difficult to add another option to the layout-editor to upscale the thumbnails to fill the complete tile?

In most cases, 300 pixel are enough. But sometimes i would like to zoom the thumbnails bigger. But for these rare cases it is not worth to inflate the database with > 300 pixel thumbnails. Of course upscaling produces a worse image quality than a bigger thumbnail. But it's just for the rare cases.
And using the quick preview is not the same, as seeing several images big enough at the same time.

Nik

Mario

The quality would be real bad. And then users would complain about the bad quality. I don't think this would be a good idea.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ben

QuoteAnd then users would complain about the bad quality
You're right, that might become a problem.

I can think about two solutions:

• Some kind of visual feedback, indicating that the current thumbnail is upscaled and/or
  • limit the upscale to a certain factor. See my pics attached (300->400 pixel, 300->500 pixel and 300->600 pixel). 50% upscale should be no problem, and probably even a bit more with a more sophisticated upscale algorithm.
What do you think?

Mario

I think this will be a lot of effort for something that most users never will use.
300 pixel is already a lot for a thumbnail. If you really need larger thumbnails than 300 pixel, just create larger thumbnails for the database.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

ben

ok, what a pity.
Bigger thumbnails are not really an option since they need quite a bit more of space on the harddisk.

Jingo

For what it's worth - I had set my Thumbnails to like 600px since space is pretty cheap... but then I realized that the preview panel is probably a better way to go anyway and can be setup to not really take up much space if using dual monitors... so have been using that instead.  I get a nice big preview of the thumbs very quickly thx to the cache.  Lowered my thumbs back to 300px and am happy.