Drag 'n drop copy

Started by stonecherub, June 22, 2014, 04:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stonecherub

From the Help file:  <<<By default, IMatch moves when you drag and drop files.
Hold down the Ctrl key to copy the files instead. The mouse cursor changes to indicate whether you are copying or moving.>>

I am used to Faststone where key press sequence doesn't matter but when I tried it in IM 5.4.1, the key press sequence was important (but this might be only on my box). You can throw this into the "I'll get around to it" can, I'll change my behavior.

Selecting a file in IM, the border turns red. If I then hold Ctrl and press left mouse (what I apparently usually do, not thinking), the border goes gray and the file cannot be dragged. But, if I press left mouse FIRST, and then Ctrl, The little plus sign appears and the file can be drag-copied. Strange

Also, I don't understand <<<Press the ESC key to cancel a drag and drop operation>>> After I have dropped a file into another folder, pressing ESC immediately does not remove it. Is it supposed to?

Mario

IMatch works similar to Windows Explorer. While you drag, toggle the operation of the drag by holding or releasing <Ctrl>.
Pressing <Ctrl> and then left-clicking allows you to change the focused file in the file window, which is different from pressing <Ctrl> while you are dragging files.
Pressing <ESC> after the drop operation is completed will not do anything. You press <ESC> when you accidentally started a drag and drop operation, or you changed your mind.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

stonecherub

Thanks, Mario, I understand that. Faststone is too free in what it will allow me to get away with but my bad habits started there. As I said, I can change my behavior.

But, about the ESCape. When I start a drag and think better of it, I just let go, nothing moves, and I don't need ESC. My biggest problem is "wrong target." I intend to drop in one particular folder and drop it somewhere else by mistake. In that case, things do move and there is no point to using ESC.

It's not important.

Richard

QuoteUndo IMatch supports multi-level Undo for many operations. This allows you to easily undo a recent change when you make a mistake.
To access the Undo function, go to Edit > Undo.
The undo mechanism in IMatch keeps track of changes you make, e.g., renaming a category, moving images between categories, changing metadata and so on. If you make a mistake, go directly to the Undo command or press Ctrl+Z to undo your recent change or changes.
Certain commands and features clear the Undo menu. For example, if you remove a file from the database, IMatch will clear the Undo menu because it can no longer guarantee that the "undoable" operations will still work. For example, if the Undo menu contains an undo for a category assignment, but you delete the files from that category from your hard disk, it will no longer be possible to undo the category assignments. The files just no longer exist on your disk.
You should thus always use Undo immediately after you noticed a mistake or problem.
Some operations and commands cannot be undone. This includes operations like deleting or relocating files and folders. IMatch will always ask for your confirmation before executing such potentially harmful commands.

JohnZeman

That's a good suggestion Richard but it doesn't seem to apply to drag and drop file operations.

stonecherub

I just tried it, drag-copying two images to my working folder. In both instances, Undo remained grayed out under Edit.

Mario

Deleting, moving and copying files cannot be undone. Whether you do it in IMatch or via drag and drop makes no difference.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Richard

Quote from: JohnZeman on June 23, 2014, 03:44:08 AM
That's a good suggestion Richard but it doesn't seem to apply to drag and drop file operations.

QuoteSome operations and commands cannot be undone. This includes operations like deleting or relocating files and folders.

I made that bold for a reason. If relocating files can not be undone, then <Esc> will not undo them either.