The Seach Bar - possible improvements

Started by pajaro, June 25, 2014, 12:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pajaro

There was quite a lot of threads on functionality of the Search Bar. I have some suggestions that might, in my opinion, improve this very handy function of IM5.

First, it may be useful if the size (particular the length) of the Search Bar window can be adjusted. If I enter more words and logical operators in one search, some of the words are hidden and I cannot tell if there is e.g. a typo that would cause that the search is not successful.

Second, I think that it would be good if the search is initiated not automatically after you stop typing for two seconds, but e.g. by hitting enter. The reason I am asking this is that sometimes when I type too slowly IM initiates the search but when I continue typing, the search will not proceed.

Finally, it would be very helpful for me if the search could be limited not only to frequently used tags, but specifically to @Keywords (or @Keywords+regular categories). A similar  function was available in IDImager and I found it very useful for a quick search of images with various combinations of keywords. Of course, complex searches were not possible, but for basic search this function was perfect. With the current implementation when I search for e.g. files containing 2012 @Keyword (photos taken in 2012) I get also totally unrelated results which happen to have "2012" somewhere in the metadata. I understand that this is the way how the Search Bar is supposed to work and that for my purpose the Filter panel was intended. But still I would appreciate if this would be possible.

Just my two cents  :)

Pavel.

Mario

All this functionality is available in the Metadata Search filter.

The search bar has been designed for quick searches only, not for long and complex search terms which don't fit into the available space. Wrong tool for the job.

The Metadata Search filter has a lot more options, including search modes, several ways to chose where to search and so on. Give it a try.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

pajaro

Quote from: Mario on June 25, 2014, 01:44:09 PM
All this functionality is available in the Metadata Search filter.

The search bar has been designed for quick searches only, not for long and complex search terms which don't fit into the available space. Wrong tool for the job.

The Metadata Search filter has a lot more options, including search modes, several ways to chose where to search and so on. Give it a try.

Thanks. Mario. I actually tested all IMatch Filters, including the Metadata filter. They are all very powerful and I must say that filtering is a very strong point of IM - I can do things I could have only dreamed about in IDI. What I like on the Search Bar is that it is readily available (no extra clicks and waiting for activation of the Filter Panel needed) and one is tempted to use it for the @Keywords search (the way I used it in IDI). Anyway, I'll try the Metadata filter once again and see how it can accommodate my needs.

Mario

To find files with specific keywords you can use the search bar, the Value filter, the Metadata Search filter and the Category filter. I'm sure there is enough functionality already implemented to do what you need. Adding more and more features to the search bar because occasionally it would allow to avoid to use the filter panel is not really a strong argument.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook