Possible to rename current database?

Started by dadu, July 02, 2014, 03:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dadu

Hello,
I have been working with my new IMatch 5 database (converted from a 21,000+ image IMatch 3 database)...
When I initially did the conversion, I did not give it a unique name and just used the default "Imatch Database" name..

Now I am thinking about using Pack and Go to travel with my database so I can use IMatch 5 on my laptop when traveling, and for clarity purposes, I want to change the name of the IMatch 5 database on my tower PC that I've already set up.

Is it possible to change the name of a current database? (I don't want to convert my IMatch 3 database again if I can avoid it...)  Is it just a matter of renaming the *.imdb5 file?

Thx for any help.

herman

When in doubt you can create a copy of your database in Windows Explorer and rename the copy to whatever you like.
Open the renamed copy in IMatch and see what it does.
That way the original database is still there should things go wrong.
But I doubt they will go wrong.... ;)
Enjoy!

Herman.

dadu

Thx, herman!
Sometimes I miss the obvious... :P

Just tried your idea on a test database, and it seemed to work fine; I made a copy with a different name, and then renamed my current database and when I opened IMatch 5 it prompted me to open a database.  I opened the (renamed) old database and everything seems to be intact.

I will try this on my regular (huge) database when I get home.   :)

Mario

Reminder: When you work with multiple database and you 'clone' one of your databases by copying it in Windows Explorer, remember to give it a unique identifier under Edit > Preferences > Database afterwards. Else the databases will share settings and cache files, which will cause unwanted side effects.

Click on <F1> while in the Edit > Preferences > Database dialog for more info.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DigPeter

I can confirm Herman's experience.  Just rename the DB file.

Erik

I've also renamed a db and have also observed the consequences of having conflicting settings, etc.

For instance, the Pack and Go and backup routine kept backing up the old database not the renamed one (all references and settings were still from the old one).  Even if things appear ok, something can get screwed up.  For instance, I had just realized that the cache was all screwy. 

So, I suggest doing as Mario states and change the DB ID.

Mario

In Pack & Go you explicitly select the database file(s) you include in your backup. If you rename the database file, you have to update your Pack & Go settings to use the new database name.

Cloning a database via copy without changing the internal id (which is used to access the cache and to store per-database settings) will cause trouble, as you noticed.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DigPeter

DuDu does not mention copying an IM5 database.  If it is the original, a simple rename will not present a problem.  Of course, as Mario states, if however the rename is required after cloning from another IM5 database, giving it a unique identifier is necessary.