Folder Exclusion

Started by Darius1968, July 03, 2014, 05:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darius1968

Okay, I have a situation where I'm now trying to display file for years 2013 & 2014.  I want to narrow the scope so that displayed files are just png.  So far, so good.  I find that there are numerous folders that have a lot of 'junk' png files, and for that, I'd like to exclude these folders, which is seemingly easy enough via the "folders" panel the filtering. 
Okay, so the problem I'm having now is that it's cumbersome to navigate a big tree to find the boxes that I want to check, and even when I enter some of the folder name in the search box, it's not always cooperative.  Furthermore, if I navigate to the media & folders tab to copy the folder name, then if I move over to the filtering and paste it into the search box in folders, then the focus will not shift to that folder for me to check.  Given what I've outlined, what is a quick way to exclude folders on the fly without having to spend so much time navigating through a tree? 

JohnZeman

One way that might be at least worth a try to see if it speeds up your workflow would be to create formula categories for each of your years folders.  Then you could just drag and drop the year categories into the category builder to show the years you want and further fine tune the results with the filter panel.

Darius1968

Actually, with respect to years, the Timeline view is very, very handy, and I have no need to filter in this regard.  Since my last post, however, I did use as you say formula categories - just created an empty category, and then took the folders (in Media & Folders view) selected, and did a 'drag & drop' onto that empty category I created, and let IMatch create the formula categories for me. 

JohnZeman

I'm not following just what you did but it sounds like you found a solution.  :)

Mario

That's a little gadget. When you drag objects (e.g. folders) into the Category View, IMatch asks you what you want to do with them, e.g. create a category with formula, assign all files in that folder etc.. details are in the help.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook