Versions in Category view

Started by Lord_Helmchen, July 07, 2014, 01:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord_Helmchen

I can't find any reference in online help or in this forum: In "Media & Folder View" I see versions of my photos as I wish (the photo from selected folder and in "Versions Panel" all related versions.

If I switch to "Categories View", I see all photos individually - so master and version.

In v3, I used simple filters to select what I see (Master or Version) by special category assignment. I haven't found a simple way to implement a similar view without defining dynamic categories for each category.

I think there must be a simpler way to do this which I haven't found so far.

Any idea?

Mario

1. Versions are shown in every view, you can find them by looking at the version icons in the thumbnail panel. Whether you are in Media & Folders, Categories or the Timeline does not matter.

2. You can always see all versions of a master in the Version Panel

3. If you actually mean that your versions are not displayed as stacked, please keep in mind that IMatch shows stacks only when files are in the same scope (file window). If you look at a category which contains both the master and the versions, IMatch will show the stack (if you have stacked the version). If master and versions are in different categories, they will not be shown as stacked.

See the IMatch help on stacks and why IMatch does what it does.

QuoteIn v3, I used simple filters to select what I see (Master or Version) by special category assignment. I haven't found a simple way to implement a similar view without defining dynamic categories for each category.

Your question does not tell us what you want to achieve. Do you want to see only masters or versions? Or only specific masters or specific versions?

Did you try the File Properties filter? You can also use a Collections filter because IMatch automatically assigns masters and versions to dedicated collections, even per relation rule. Check the Collection View and there open the Relations node. Below it you'll see all masters and versions, grouped by the relation rule. Very easy.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Lord_Helmchen

Thanks. The "File Properties" was what I wanted! But I find it slightly inconvenient hidden in the "Filter Panel".

I liked the way how I could access the filters (now the "Filter Manager") in IM3 in the same way as setting the sort order. As alternative, I can't find a way to add a filter to Favorites panel.

Is there a way to have it permanently visible while saving screen space?

Mario

You cannot add filters to the Favorites Panel.
If you need a filter often, save it so you can recall it via the Filter Manager at the top of the filter panel. You can then apply it with a single mouse-click.
If screen estate is a problem, switch the Filter Panel to auto-hide to conserve screen space.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Lord_Helmchen

What a pity. I think I'll give auto-hide a try. But I'd like to see all filters, so that I don't forget that I have set one.

If I struggle in real live with that, I'll create a feature request.

Thanks for your ultra quick support - as usual.  :)

Erik

Keep in mind that when a filter is set, the "header" at the top of the main thumbnail panel is highlighted (by default in a blue color) that indicates a filter is active.  This should make it easy to remember that a filter is active, even if the panel is hidden.

-Erik