decimal gps positions

Started by rgdudley, July 14, 2014, 01:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rgdudley

I know that I can have decimal gps positions, but in the location panel I seem to have edited them back to the degrees minutes seconds version.

What tags do I use to get the decimal version or how do I get that by other means.  I prefer the decimal version.

thanks for your help, Richard
R

JohnZeman

I assume you mean the location section of the metadata panel. 

If so in metadata configuration just check the "Use Raw Value" as indicated in the attached screen shot.

[attachment deleted by admin]

cytochrome

Hello John,

I use the raw GPS formatting but it outputs data like 6.03874683333333 which are not so legible and scientifically a bit idiotic. I hoped to trim it with something like {File.MD.XMP::exif\GPSLongitude\GPSLongitude\0}|numformat:float,05,5 but I can't get it to work in the panel layout editor.
I also tried GPS Longitude|numformat:float,05,4, no joy either.

Is there a better way?

Francis

PS Just tested my first formula in the VarToy: it brings back the exiftool formatted data!! I'll modify it force raw... but still how can I set it up?

JohnZeman

Francis I'm afraid I don't know of a way to format the GPS coordinates in the metadata panel other than to check the use raw value option.  You can format it to display as you want just about anywhere else as you've seen but I don't know of a way to do that in the metadata panel.

Mario

In the Metadata Panel IMatch displays the data 'as-is', as returned by ExifTool.
For GPS coordinates you can use the formatted value (with °) or the standardized rational value (what you call not so legible). The precision is required and relevant.

For variables, you can use the RAW value of the GPS coordinate and display it with less precision if you want:

{File.MD.XMP::exif\GPSLongitude\GPSLongitude\0|value:raw; numformat:float,4,2}

gives you something like:

instead of 9.66042 or 9 deg 39' 37.51" E
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

cytochrome

Thank you Mario, your formula works well in the VarToy, The "value:raw" was what I missed (I used "raw" instead).

However, as John noted there is no way to display this in the Metadata panel. So I keep 6.03874683333333, feels wonderfully precise.

"The precision is required and relevant." It sure is not relevant to me. I use either a hand held Garmin GPSMAP72s or my car GPS. These are not military grade equipments aiming to metric precision. Over 5 digit after the comma has no real significance, especially when these devices receive only 5 or 6 satellites... :)

Francis

PS Over the surface of earth the length of a degree is about 111km. 5 digits correspond to an accuracy of 1.1 m, 6 digit to 11 cm, that's much more than I (and probably other photographers) will ever need...

rgdudley

Thanks.... exactly what I was looking for.

Quote from: JohnZeman on July 14, 2014, 03:22:20 AM
I assume you mean the location section of the metadata panel. 

If so in metadata configuration just check the "Use Raw Value" as indicated in the attached screen shot.
R

Erik

I suppose if one finds a certain level of accuracy sufficient, you could configure a small metadata template to convert the raw GPS data.  Of course you lose a bit of data and accuracy for the sake of display.  Never-the-less, it can be done.

Alternatively, and what I'm doing for my own purposes, I'm going to use the little App Panels to serve as my metadata "browser" so that I can get the display exactly as I want and leave the Metadata Panel for editing data, which can be more raw data.

cytochrome

This is a good idea, Eric. 

In fact there is John's "Collapsible Metadata Viever" which already has the essential, I have just to add the variable formatted as I like for the GPS data.

Francis

Erik

Quote from: cytochrome on July 14, 2014, 06:22:56 PM
In fact there is John's "Collapsible Metadata Viever" which already has the essential, I have just to add the variable formatted as I like for the GPS data.

Francis

That's the one I was thinking of.  The viewer I find more useful than the actual metadata panel for just viewing metadata.  I love the metadata panel though for comprehensively seeing ALL my metadata and for editing metadata.  In that case, I don't mind seeing everything even with more precision than I actually need.