Modify old community postings

Started by Photon, July 09, 2013, 01:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Photon

Some general question about this forum:
- Are there plans to keep the continuous possiblility for users to edit their own postings?
- Will this SMF forum be disbandoned after beta phase and go back to UBB forum?

In the separate v3.6 forum with UBB technology it is only possible to edit for some limited time (??? minutes) after submission.
But I think the risk of misuse or spam is limited. After all most other Internet forum can manage this without trouble.
I think it is very good if postings can be edited later. Only this does allow proper maintenance of good postings like:
https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=276

Regards, Martin
| IMatch v5.5.8 + Win7proN64bit | Lumix, Pentax |
| ExifTool, ImageMagick, GeoSetter | JPhotoTagger, MusicBee | CaptureOne, LightRoom | jAlbum, WingsPlatinum, Mobjects |

Mario

Quote- Are there plans to keep the continuous possiblility for users to edit their own postings?

Not decided yet. Depends on how users (ab)use this feature. Currently this forum is private and by-invitation only. SPAMmers are known to abuse this feature.
Old posts are old posts. In many cases nobody cares to update them. And if you can always ask a moderator to do it for you.

Quote- Will this SMF forum be disbandoned after beta phase and go back to UBB forum?

No. UBB is apparently no longer under development.

QuoteBut I think the risk of misuse or spam is limited.

Dream on. I know of several forum sites which had to close because they could no longer handle the massive SPAM. This can get out of the hands of the board moderators and myself very quickly. I chose better security and privacy over a bit more comfort any time.

QuoteOnly this does allow proper maintenance of good postings like:

AFAIK I can assign the privilege to edit his own posts on a per-user basis. Thus when I think that a user always does good FAQ-like posts, I can give him the right to edit them any time.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Photon

Quote from: Mario on July 09, 2013, 01:32:24 PM
AFAIK I can assign the privilege to edit his own posts on a per-user basis. Thus when I think that a user always does good FAQ-like posts, I can give him the right to edit them any time.

Thanks Mario, that is fine and it is up to us to work towards this privilege with good contributions.

Regards, Martin
| IMatch v5.5.8 + Win7proN64bit | Lumix, Pentax |
| ExifTool, ImageMagick, GeoSetter | JPhotoTagger, MusicBee | CaptureOne, LightRoom | jAlbum, WingsPlatinum, Mobjects |

Ferdinand

My understanding is that you're going to allow the scripts forum to be edited, non?  I don't see how you can use the forum as a repository for scripts if you don't.  If the top post doesn't contain the latest version then it can be very hard to find.

I've not seen problems with spam in forums that allow delayed editing, but I don't pretend to be an expert on this topic

picolo

Ferdinand,

QuoteI've not seen problems with spam in forums that allow delayed editing, but I don't pretend to be an expert on this topic

I am still a moderator of a other forum and unfortunately they are still a lot of human beings out there that do spam. Not only bots...
And sometimes, the first postings seemed to be not suspicious, and then afterwards (sometimes many weeks later) they change the complete postings and add links, images, etc. etc.

Though, editing postings after a while to correct something is something I always liked...
E.g.: Because my English is not that good, I write sometimes nonsense. However, when I then realize that, it's nice not to ask a moderator to edit my post, instead I love to do it by myself!
Cheers, Michael

Mario

QuoteMy understanding is that you're going to allow the scripts forum to be edited, non?

Moderators can edit any post at any time. If we have to lock down the board for security and Anti-SPAM measures, a user can always ask a moderator or me to upload/replace an attached script. This does not happen too often and thus should be manageable.

The SPAM risk int he scripting forum may be a bit lower than in other forums, but I cannot tell. We can always make exceptions for trusted users and allow them to update their posts any time.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ChrisMatch

Quote from: Mario on July 09, 2013, 06:42:37 PMWe can always make exceptions for trusted users and allow them to update their posts any time.
I think this should be sufficient. I only use this feature for special post like the one I made in the Guide section and if necessary I can request this 'right' from the moderators. For 'normal' post I don't see the need.