Database Disk Image is Malformed

Started by kiwilink, July 10, 2013, 03:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwilink

Mario:

Can you tell me what may have caused this by looking at the log?  I was creating different workspaces and then I exited Imatch5 and got my first Blue Screen and then this came up when I rebooted.  Imatch5 will start without the database but when I try to open my database it just hangs.

Mike

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

Quoteand got my first Blue Screen
This is one of the few ways to damage an IMatch database.

If the database was writing data when the blue screen happened, it may have sent data to the file system and internally marked it as written. But due to the blue screen, the file system could not write the data from its memory cache to the physical disk. Or the data was still in the disk cache when Windows restarted and thus was never written.

Such a chain of events and other problems like disk errors or network errors while writing data may physically damage an IMatch database. IMatch considers the data as written but it wasn't. Parts of the database are now not in a consistent state, and if this affects important data blocks, IMatch may be unable to open the database or recover it.

The only help in such, luckily rare cases, is a current backup of the database file.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook