Categories Panel

Started by P.Jones, August 02, 2014, 05:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P.Jones

It would be nice if the Categories Panel didn't show "Sealed" Categories as these  cannot be assigned.

[attachment deleted by admin]

JohnZeman

I have to disagree with this as I often want to click on and refer to my sealed categories. 

You might consider putting all of your sealed categories under one category root, that way when it's collapsed you'll only see one.  I've attached a screen shot of my category tree, most of my sealed categories are under the Formulas category.

P.Jones

Quote from: JohnZeman on August 02, 2014, 05:44:18 PM
I have to disagree with this as I often want to click on and refer to my sealed categories. 

You might consider putting all of your sealed categories under one category root, that way when it's collapsed you'll only see one.  I've attached a screen shot of my category tree, most of my sealed categories are under the Formulas category.

Hi John

I'm talking about the Category Panel on the right handside of the screen only, you can't click on those.

Showing them in the Category View, left handside is fine

JohnZeman

Quote from: P.Jones on August 02, 2014, 10:11:04 PM
Hi John

I'm talking about the Category Panel on the right handside of the screen only, you can't click on those.

Paul you can't expand or collapse a branch in the category panel?  I can. 

If nothing else you might configure the category panel to show up to 6 category branches individually (see attached screen shot).

P.Jones

Quote from: JohnZeman on August 02, 2014, 10:23:11 PM
Quote from: P.Jones on August 02, 2014, 10:11:04 PM
Hi John

Paul you can't expand or collapse a branch in the category panel?  I can. 

If nothing else you might configure the category panel to show up to 6 category branches individually (see attached screen shot).

I can expand or collapse a branch.

What i am saying is, if you can't add the 'Sealed' category to a photo,  i.e. you can't use them, then why show them

JohnZeman

Ok, I understand now.

It appears you are using @Keyword categories, so why not configure a tab that only shows those?

thrinn

I do not quite understand how hiding sealed categories should work. For example, if I have a category structure like:
WHO|Family|Peter
WHO|Friends|Paul
WHO|Colleagues|John

WHO is sealed because I only want to assign pictures to one of the children categories. Peter, Paul, John are not sealed, of course. Maybe Family is sealed, too, because I have a sub category for each family member. But Colleagues is not sealed because I don't want to enter each colleague as an own category. If IMatch would hide alle sealed categories from the category panel, how should the category tree be displayed? Or is your feature request related to the @Keywords category only? But even then it is possible to assign / unassign keywords in the category panel, so you can work with them using the category panel.
In general, I think, IMatch must display sealed categories because even if a node is sealed some of its sub categories might not. Or do I misunderstand your feature request?
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

P.Jones

Quote from: thrinn on August 03, 2014, 10:28:30 AM
I do not quite understand how hiding sealed categories should work. For example, if I have a category structure like:
WHO|Family|Peter
WHO|Friends|Paul
WHO|Colleagues|John

WHO is sealed because I only want to assign pictures to one of the children categories. Peter, Paul, John are not sealed, of course. Maybe Family is sealed, too, because I have a sub category for each family member. But Colleagues is not sealed because I don't want to enter each colleague as an own category. If IMatch would hide alle sealed categories from the category panel, how should the category tree be displayed? Or is your feature request related to the @Keywords category only? But even then it is possible to assign / unassign keywords in the category panel, so you can work with them using the category panel.
In general, I think, IMatch must display sealed categories because even if a node is sealed some of its sub categories might not. Or do I misunderstand your feature request?

Hi thrinn

Looking at it again I guess they need to be shown so you can use an  un-sealed category that is a child of a sealed category.

I was thinking, wrongly, that if the top category was sealed then any child categories  below it would be sealed also.