Load and Save of File Relations Settings

Started by Ferdinand, July 25, 2014, 10:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferdinand

Some components of preferences can be loaded and saved, such as attribute sets and the file window tip.  Given the complexity of file relations I'd like to be able to load and save them too. 

This request is not a high priority one.

Ger

I maintain a text file with all settings I use. That includes the Edit > Preference settings, settings for modules like the Imagt/Text Batch processor or metadata configurations, but also frequently used data sets for the Copy Data App. I already did so with IM3 and I'm so much used to this that I sometimes forget to use the export options, but I support the export options.

sinus

Quote from: Ger on July 25, 2014, 01:24:54 PM
I maintain a text file with all settings I use. That includes the Edit > Preference settings, settings for modules like the Imagt/Text Batch processor or metadata configurations, but also frequently used data sets for the Copy Data App. I already did so with IM3 and I'm so much used to this that I sometimes forget to use the export options, but I support the export options.

And I support this, what you wrote, I did exactly like you and I support nevertheless Ferdinands feature request.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Frank

P.Jones

cytochrome

This would have save me some hours trying to find my relation definitions back. Simply finding out where they are stored was difficult, if Mario wouldn't have told, I would still be searching.

So OK, this is low priority but it is useful. In the meantime:  There should be a note on this  in the HELP (I looked at Backup, at Backup, versioning, at Pack & Go, and could not find a note saying :  "Your relation definitions are packed in the database, they are DB-specific, to retrieve them open an older DB, and first of all make your self a txt file with all your definitions and conditions"

Francis

Ferdinand

Quote from: cytochrome on July 26, 2014, 02:02:00 PM
So OK, this is low priority but it is useful.

I just wanted to emphasise that, while I appreciate the support (thanks!), this request is low priority.  I've made a few other requests that I regard as much higher priority, and I'd hope to see them (and a long line of bug fixes) well before this one.

To add one more reason why this feature would be useful at some stage, it would allow us to share file relations definitions, for example with new users.

Richard

This is an ignorant question but if I don't ask I will remain ignorant.

Could a user create a database, set everything as desired, not add files and save that database? If need arises for a new database, copy the empty one and rename it, then import files to it?

Ferdinand

That's an astute question rather than an ignorant one.

Yes, that could be done.  And in fact I did that.  But the problem is that preferences are tweaked over time, and it's very easy for the empty DB to fall out of sync with the live one.  I'm fairly sure that mine has.  So this approach requires the user to be aware of the issue and plan for it and keep it up to date.  Not easy

The other approach is the take a copy of the live DB, change the DB ID, remove all the files from it, and run diagnostic and compact to clean it up.  Having done this once or twice it's a messy procedure if your DB is large.

Joe Austin

Jingo

+1 from me too... though I would like to expand this to include an option to export the entire settings files as a txt file.. 

Mario

There are over 400 settings, with many sub-settings. Many settings are binary, contain links to database-specific objects etc. Exporting to text will never be possible.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook