file numbering: different sets of sequences

Started by kkiel, August 02, 2014, 10:29:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkiel

Hi everybody,

I have not been able to figure out how to batch rename with several different number sequences in my database: I have a start number like abc_123.tif and want it to be f1234567.tif for photographies or i2345678.tif for illustrations - how can I tell IMatch to start at, say, i2345700 - it's not a _global_ sequence number?

Thank's for help!

kkiel

P.Jones

Quote from: kkiel on August 02, 2014, 10:29:30 AM
Hi everybody,

I have not been able to figure out how to batch rename with several different number sequences in my database: I have a start number like abc_123.tif and want it to be f1234567.tif for photographies or i2345678.tif for illustrations - how can I tell IMatch to start at, say, i2345700 - it's not a _global_ sequence number?

Thank's for help!

kkiel

One simple way, in the Renamer use these

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

Quote from: kkiel on August 02, 2014, 10:29:30 AM
Hi everybody,

Thank's for help!

kkiel
It would be helpful if you can show us your Renamer steps. Otherwise we can only guess how you rename your files...
There is only one sequence number, and that's a global sequence where you can control the start and increment. Or maybe you did add a "File Number" step? Or maybe you added a "Unique number step"?...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

kkiel

Thanks P.Jones, thanks Mario: That would rename one file, I guess, not a bunch of them? I still don't know how to tell IMatch the start number, then batch rename.
My start file names are completely random, text and digits of different length, like: "scan 123.tif", then "scan 123 copy_1.tif" and the next one "scan 123 copy_10.tif".
In IMatch 3 it the blueprint for me was c#######.tif: 'c' as text-prefix (or f, h, k for other image types), 7 digits, and I have been able to set sequence (1) and start number (say, 1234) to get c0001234.tif (the wanted number).  This completely deleted the former name.
In IMatch 5 I expected to need a unique number with prefix, but this doesn't work. I attach a sceenshot of settings and outcome.

Thank you!

kkiel

Mees Dekker

When renaming a batch of files, you should always include an instruction for the desired name of the file and then add an instruction for the number of the file.

If your "desired name" is nothing else than "c", use that as the first instruction. So your prefix should be added as text in instruction #1 and then add the instruction for the number sequence (without the prefix "c", otherwise you would end up with a double c).

For more information, there is also an very extensive item in the help file (batch renaming files, screenshot attached).

Mario

Your Renamer steps are invalid. You are using only one step, and this step is designed to be used in addition to other steps which actually produce a file name. It's just there to take care that the resulting file names are unique if your steps accidentally produce identical file names.

If you only want ascending numerical file names without any reference to the original file name, use a global sequence number. This allows you to define a start number, increment and number of digits to output.

Please read the help on the Renamer (press <F1> while the Renamer is open) to get an understanding of how it is intended to be used, how you tell the Renamer which file names you want etc.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook