Manual Offline Image Cache creation

Started by Lord_Helmchen, August 08, 2014, 10:53:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord_Helmchen

While my migration activities I set the Offline Image Cache generation to "On Demand". No I wanted to create the cache images for some folders. I right-clicked the folder, selected with Ctrl-Shift "Rescan Now" to get the menu and clicked while holding Ctrl key "Update Cache only" (as described).

Unfortunately the Offline Cache wasn't created.

After I changed the settings to automatically create the Offline Cache and followed the above described procedure (including Ctrl clicking to "Update Cache only") the cache is being created.

Could anybody reproduce this? Do I made something wrong, or is this a minor bug?

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Lord_Helmchen

Raw (CR2, ORF) and JPEG. IM was pretty fast and with low CPU load - so I was wondering. After changing the default setting, it worked as expected (with "proper" CPU load).

IM is currently still running and creating Offline Cache Images.

<Logfile deleted, as IM later crashed and I uploaded new log with dump>

Lord_Helmchen

Ok, now IM crashed and dumped!

I'm uploading the new zip with log and dump (I'll delete the old log only).

FP-DE_20140808_Offline_Cache_Not_Working_CRASH_Topic_3091.zip

Lord_Helmchen

Ok, now I retried it with a small folder structure (this time only JPEGs):

- Set OLC to "On Demand"
- Ctrl-Shift Right-Click "Rescan Now"
- Ctrl Click "Update Cache only"
--> Nearly nothing happens

- Set OLC to "Default"
- Ctrl-Shift Right-Click "Rescan Now"
- Ctrl Click "Update Cache only"
--> Now IM shows activity

Interestingly I had another issue:
- Starting slideshow
- Right click to go to configure
- click on Cancel
--> Mouse cursor is hidden over IM Windows/Panels. Above other it's visible.

See attached log file (including the "hidden mouse").

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

IMatch does create cache images in a separate background process. How do you determine that no cache images are created? Did you look in the cache folder?
The mouse is hidden when the slide show runs - I assume you switched the slide show to window mode and then the cursor was hidden and then you switched from the slide show to IMatch and the cursor was hidden (to be expected).

Please add bug report for crash - I don't keep track of bug reports in General Discussion.
Please state details in your bug report about what you were doing when IMatch produced the dump file. Thanks.

If you consider the mouse cursor remaining hidden while the slide show runs in windowed mode, please add a bug report. I don't keep track of bug reports in General Discussion.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Erik

Does IMatch even create cache images for JPGs?  I thought I recall that it doesn't do that since cache images are just JPG images anyway.

This could explain the observations.

Last, when I was having Codec issues, IMatch would not correctly generate cache images because the Codec kept throwing errors or timing out.   You might have to play with the option to test look at the codec output for an image that is not generating a cache image, when you think it should be.

Mario

IMatch by default does not create cache images for JPEG files. This is mostly a waste of time and disk space  - unless the files are on a very slow remote system or you plan to take the images off-line but want to retain previews.

The log files posted here show that many cache images are being generated. Search for CreateCacheImage.
What exactly is the problem? How to you determine if no cache image exists? Have you enabled IMatch to produce cache images for JPEG files?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator