Color coding for formula-based categories

Started by Lord_Helmchen, August 08, 2014, 06:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord_Helmchen

I like to have color coding for my Masters and Versions. In IMv3 I did this color coding using color coded categories (masters directly assigned and version automatically done with Ferdinand's versioning script).

Now I tried to do this by creating formula categories which refer to Relations Collection. But unfortunately I color coding is not supported (Help file: "Color-coding is not available for formula-based categories").

Is there a way to achieve this to easily differentiate between Master and Version by color coding?

Lord_Helmchen

Ups. I could answer my question by myself.  :o

I could create an alias-category of my formula-category which I could color code. Perhaps a hint in help file would be helpful. Shall I use the help feedback function for this?

Mario

Problem is that this can cause a severe performance problem...in order to display the color of the category IMatch has to evaluate the formula, which may cause evaluation of one or more collections, ... and then users wonder why IMatch is slow, maybe even ghosts (white screen) and I can search for hours in support to determine that the user has shot himself in his own foot...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Lord_Helmchen

Is there then a simple way to color code photos which are a Relation Master (but not visual proxy) and in a different color which are a Relation Version?

JohnZeman

Quote from: Lord_Helmchen on August 08, 2014, 08:21:19 PM
Is there then a simple way to color code photos which are a Relation Master (but not visual proxy) and in a different color which are a Relation Version?

Labels?

Erik

Quote from: JohnZeman on August 08, 2014, 11:13:12 PM
Quote from: Lord_Helmchen on August 08, 2014, 08:21:19 PM

Labels?

I used to use labels, but the problem with that is that if you propagate XMP data, the labels will end up in sync.

See the feature requests related to version propagation such as:

https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=2639.0   

There are other similar feature requests related to versions, too, but the one I posted above was directly a result of wanting to have different labels for different versions (or the masters). 

BUT, you could use labels in combination with a script like Ferdinand recently posted, which does allow you to exclude labels from propagation.

Lord_Helmchen

Quote from: JohnZeman on August 08, 2014, 11:13:12 PM
Labels?
Would be fine. For Masters it would work (setting it on import). But how could this work for Versions?

If I could color code the Relation Collection it would also be fine for me.

sinus

So you mean, the icon for master and versions are not enough for you?

Maybe labels for the master and other labels for versions create in the other (LR for example) program?

Or set a color-coded cat, but not with a formula?

Hmmm, not easy, I have no other ideas.

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Lord_Helmchen

Yes, Sinus, the color coding is in some cases too discrete.

Formula based would be fine, but according to Mario this might cause performance issues.

Mario

You can change the color of the border around the version icons to your liking in the relation definition. You can also change all colors used by the file window to your liking (e.g. to make the stack/relation icons stand out more on your monitor).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

How will you handle the case where a file is a master and a version at the same time?

I color code (via category) my raw files.

Lord_Helmchen

I still think this looks very discrete. Probably I'll continue with my color coding of a category referencing a formula based on relation collections. If I encounter performance issues, I hopefully remember this construct.