Using map locations

Started by timag, August 10, 2014, 09:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timag

I have defined several locations on the map using the map panel (ie. "Home"). I've been able to use the filter option and to select all photo's taken on a certain location. I was trying to create data driven categories from these locations to use them in the builder but I can't seem to figure out how to do this. Is this even possible?

Just to clarify: I mean the locations as defined on the Map panel, not the location in the iMatch samples category that uses the location fields in the metadata.

jch2103

Quote from: timag on August 10, 2014, 09:24:16 PM
I was trying to create data driven categories from these locations to use them in the builder but I can't seem to figure out how to do this. Is this even possible?

Just to clarify: I mean the locations as defined on the Map panel, not the location in the iMatch samples category that uses the location fields in the metadata.

Have you defined Country/State/City for your locations? If so, I believe they'll be filled in and available in the location samples category. These are data-driven categories.

John

thrinn

I don't think you can use a data driven category on the names you define for your locations. But it should be possible if you fill some standard xmp field (say,  location) with the name you use for a location. Applying the location to a file should then fill the XMP field, essentially copying the name of the location into the file metadata. And for metadata, a data driven category will work.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Mario

The Locations in the Map panel allow you to apply predefined coordinates and metadata  to files. They are also used in the Filter Panel and to automatically map/geo-code files during import (Edit > Preferences > Indexing).

Data-driven categories operate on metadata contained in your files. If you apply a location to one or more files, these files receive the country, city, location etc. from the Location you apply. And this data is then used in the data-driven category. If you apply a location 'Home' which sets Germany/Frankfurt to your files, these files will then show up under Germany|Frankfurt in the data-driven category. The name 'Home' is only used by the location itself, in the Map Panel.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

timag

Thanks for clarifying that Mario, it looks like what I wanted to do is not possible then.

My goal was to be able to assign "Friendly" names to specific GPS locations. So I could define "Home" in the map panel and the associated dynamic category would contain every photo taken at that location. If I ever move I could rename that location "Old Home" and define a new "Home" somewhere else.

The reason the location defined in the map panel is so great is that I can even use it for photo's that I geocoded before iMatch 5 because the location "Home" is based on the associated GPS coordinates and a radius. GPS search allows me to do just that but it doesn't integrate with the other filtering / metadata options. Using a metadata tag like Thrinn suggests would work in a similar way but it isn't dynamic which means I would need to revisit every file if I change my location (in the Map panel sense) definitions.

It's not a big thing, I was just wondering if I was missing something obvious. I'll go and fiddle with thrinn's suggestion to add the "friendly name" (ie. "Home") to a different field if the location is applied on the map.

Erik

Generally speaking... when you assign a location (coordinates) to an image and you reverse geocode it, you'll get the following XMP data:

Country
State/Province
City
Location (Sublocation)

in that hierarchy (country code will go with Country too).

The Location/Sublocation field is a place where I will often put friendly names in for places (such as home, parent's home, kid's school, etc).  I usually just override the GeoNames database for the locations I want friendly names for. 

If you do that, then you make a data driven category on just Location. You would essentially get what you want. 

mastodon

I found a good description about metadata (where to store what in IPTC and XMP). But unfortunatelly I could not learn how to store in the files XMP fields the location name (eg. Parliament of Anycountry) and street address (3 Apple street)
Has anybody a solution to store the location name and street address together in XMP fields?

Mario

I don't understand your question.
Why don't you just enter the information in the Metadata Panel?
if the tag (field) you want to edit is not included in the Metadata Panel layout you use, just add it.

If you want to combine multiple metadata tags into one, use a Metadata Template.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

Quote from: mastodon on March 29, 2016, 02:03:44 PM
I found a good description about metadata (where to store what in IPTC and XMP). But unfortunatelly I could not learn how to store in the files XMP fields the location name (eg. Parliament of Anycountry) and street address (3 Apple street)
Has anybody a solution to store the location name and street address together in XMP fields?

If mastodon is asking whether there are dedicated XMP tags for 1) location and 2) street address, the answer is 1) yes and 2) apparently not (except for for a few very specialized tags). As Mario suggests, you can use the Standard Tag for location in the Metadata Panel; that will be properly mapped into other tags, including XMP::iptcCore\Location\Location\0. 

For Street Address, you could either combine it in Location or find another (unfortunately non-standard) tag for this use.
John

mastodon

Yes! I though there is a standard metadata field for that. So, that means I can create (define) any kind of metadata field?
Now I use Location for street address (Metadata, Default panel/Location/Location field). I have learnt in the forum, that is "Location Shown". Ok, I want more.
If I create a Location in the Map panel, will that all info store in XMP fields (if I apply it for files)? This panel has a lot of data about location, that will be more than enough.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

You cannot make up your own XMP data fields in IMatch. You can create your own Attributes, though.

I suggest you look at the XMP tags already available for location-related metadata and then choose what you like. IMatch by default displays the standard XMP location fields already. Note that geo-coding services usually do not provide explicit street adresses or similar - only 'locations', which may contain different things for different places. This also depends on the geo-coding service used (Google, Bing, OpenStreetMap), the country in which the location lies etc.  IMatch by default fills in all relevant XMP tags from the data returned by the mapping service already. If you need more detailed data than provided by the mapping service, you can always edit the data later.

For more information about XMP metadata, see the official Adobe documentation and the Metadata Working Group recommendations (which are implemented by IMatch).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator