Filter: Files Having GPS Coordinates

Started by Darius1968, August 12, 2014, 10:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darius1968

What's the best way to filter the database for all files that must have GPS coordinates? 

jch2103

If I understand your question correctly, one was is to set up a data-driven category based on GPS data, e.g., Composite\GPSLatitudeRef\GPSLatitudeRef\0
This tag is better than trying to use one of the GPS coordinates for this, as it has a limited number of values.

This will give you North, South and (if you include 'Other') all the files with missing GPS data.

John

joel23

Quote from: Darius1968 on August 12, 2014, 10:32:21 PM
What's the best way to filter the database for all files that must have GPS coordinates?
I did it the other day for finding all files which have no GPS coordinates applied by defining a filter via Metadata search, with a Regular Expression [0-9] on a Selected Tag like eg. GPS or XMP "GPS Longitude" or "GPS Latitude" and inverted the filter.

[attachment deleted by admin]
regards,
Joerg

Darius1968

Jch2103, I set up a data driven category with this tag, "Composite\GPSPosition\GPSPosition\0".  I compared it with your suggested tag.  Both are very similar, but mine yielded about 100 files more!  Also, mine revealed something interesting in that there were some image files that had GPS metadata, but with that said, these files did not have the blue-dot button in the thumbnail informing that the file had GPS data, and to click that button to open the map panel.  Do you have any ideas why this might be? 

Mario

Have these files valid values in all XMP GPS tags? IMatch shows the globe when the database holds valid data.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

Quote from: Darius1968 on August 13, 2014, 09:31:24 AM
Jch2103, I set up a data driven category with this tag, "Composite\GPSPosition\GPSPosition\0".  I compared it with your suggested tag.  Both are very similar, but mine yielded about 100 files more!  Also, mine revealed something interesting in that there were some image files that had GPS metadata, but with that said, these files did not have the blue-dot button in the thumbnail informing that the file had GPS data, and to click that button to open the map panel.  Do you have any ideas why this might be?

The reason I used the tag I specified was to limit the number of categories returned. Your tag returns coordinate pairs, one for each location. That was too many for my purpose of finding files missing gps locations.

I tried your tag with my IMatch database, and found a difference between the two tags of 3 files (out of a total of nearly 12,000 with gps data). I would guess based on my earlier experiences cleaning up gps locations that your 'extra' files are 'broken', that is, have invalid coordinates as Mario suggests. I recall that some of my files had one gps coordinate, but not a pair. At this point I don't know why that might have happened, perhaps bad gps data from a receiver or some problem with gps software I might have used in the past.

The only way to tell for sure would be to check the gps information in your specific 'extra' files.

John
John