Options for optimizing the Renamer

Started by ben, August 16, 2014, 02:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben

Hi everybody,

i would like to start a discussion about possible optimizations for the renamer.
If more of you guys see it the same way like me, i can post a feature request for mario.

1) The presets should not be overwritten, until demanded by the user.
At the moment, when i select a preset and change it, my former preset is gone.
I know, that there have been similar discussions about the workspace presets. According to the post, Mario has thought a lot about his decision, but there are quite a few people who think it should be changed.
https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=1088.msg17045#msg17045

2) It should be possible to choose a new filename pattern, even though some of the files already follow this pattern.
For example, i want to rename the following files:
  - dsc_11.jpg
  - myFile_01.jpg
  - dsc_12.jpg
  - dsc_13.jpg

At the end, i want:
  - myFile_01.jpg
  - myFile_02.jpg
  - myFile_03.jpg
  - myFile_04.jpg

At the moment this doesn't work in one renamer-run, since the first file fails:
  dsc_11.jpg -> myFile_01.jpg (file already exists)

So, in this case iMatch would have to automatically rename all files to a unique name first and rename the file afterwards to the desired filename pattern.

Ben

Jingo

#1 - I agree personally... I know its just a design choice but I think ANY non-default preset should NEVER be modified unless you specifically hit an Apply or Save button... there are lots of times when I have my KEYWORDING workspace up, decide I need to just do a quick check of something (say check activity) and eventually finish and close the program.  Next time I open up the program and choose the KEYWORDING workspace - I want it to go back to the way it was when I originally saved the preset.

#2 - I don't think I would hit this situation typically unless I was renaming already renamed files (not from my camera) but like this idea as well. Irfanview I believe does this for its batch rename function and is quite handy!