Started by andrewlep, August 20, 2014, 01:10:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewlep

I have set up an external drive as my offline cache folder.

Having set up this folder in the preferences menu together with the option to automatically create a cached version of each file everything works smoothly.

However, on some occasions I forget to power up the external drive before opening IMatch5.

When this happens it seems that IMatch will default to creating new cached files on the C: drive in what was the default directory.

Is it possible for IMatch to check if the 'user prefered' offline cache folder is available when the program opens. If the drive/folder is missing a warning message could be shown allowing the drive to be powered up. This would avoid the creation of cache files on drive C:

Carlo Didier

It is always a bad practice to use something external, i.e. that can be offline itself. for any type of cache. In this case, it's even doubly bad as the external drive is probably slower than any internal drive. I have configured all my applications (and Windows itself) to use a dedicated internal SSD for any type of cache. Makes for a huge speed boost!

andrewlep

Hello Carlo,

Thank you for the comments. I understand and completely agree with your points about using an internal drive.

My intention is to eventually use an internal SSD for speed and for keeping the cache online.

The reason I am using an external drive at the moment is that I am currently learning the new features of IMatch5 and ensuring its stability before making the complete move over from IMatch 3.6. This program and the data it contains is SO important for me that I take no risks! So far IMatch5 is working almost without error.

My request for a 'cache offilne' warning was simply to help me avoid 'user failure' :-)

BTW, I am already finding the 'old' IMatch3 dificult to go back to after experiencing the new IMatch5 interface and new features.

Incidently, the speed of loading the file window, search filters and previews off of an E-sata external HD is extremely fast. Very impressive to say that IMatch5 is managing a database of over 300,000 images!

Ferdinand

The advice that Mario has given in the past is that an SSD (or perhaps a USB3 stick) is a good idea for the DB, because of all the random reads and writes.

But he has said that an SSD is not really needed for the cache.  You wouldn't want a slow drive, but an internal regular drive of good quality should be sufficient.

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

Quote from: andrewlep on August 21, 2014, 03:24:11 PMBTW, I am already finding the 'old' IMatch3 dificult to go back to after experiencing the new IMatch5 interface and new features.
Me too!

Quote from: andrewlep on August 21, 2014, 03:24:11 PMIncidently, the speed of loading the file window, search filters and previews off of an E-sata external HD is extremely fast. Very impressive to say that IMatch5 is managing a database of over 300,000 images!
Of course, with e-sata, you get the same speed as with an internal drive. USB3 might math that, if the device fully supports the maximum speed of USB3.