Cannot open db

Started by sinus, August 26, 2014, 01:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Hi Mario,
this is NOT important. Want only to report it, because I have a) backups, and b) I will do anyway a new conversion in the next days ;)

I worked with IM5. I was in the cat-view, opend the viewer, changed one dot and IM crashed with a dump.
Tried to find the dump, did not find.

Then I could not more open IMatch, you can see the details in my attachement. So I am not able to open the db again.
But as I said, not important, maybe the attachement gives you some hints (though I think not).

[attachment deleted by admin]
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

The DUMP dialog in IMatch displays the name of the created ZIP file.
If the crash is reported by Windows, IMatch had no chance to handle it or the crash happened in an external component.
The log file would be helpful to see why IMatch is not opening the database anymore...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Hm,

I have several db ... I cannot open any of them, also not the backup db and so on.
I can open IM with the dialog, if I want continue or load the last db and so on.

If I choose, open IM without a db, that works.
Then, wether if I open (with IM-menu) an existing db or let create a new db ... IM goes white and does not more respond.

This means, I simply cannot open IM or create a new db or work with IM.

Is there something that I can do? Install IM new or what (phew, my poor preferences..., but finally, not THAT bad).

I attach the log, but I guess, this does not help. A dump I cannot find.

Markus

Mario

This sounds like your settings database has been damaged. Hum.
Please rename the file

C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch5\config\imatch5.pts

to C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch5\config\imatch5.pts.BAK

while IMatch is not running. Then restart IMatch.

Your log file ends while IMatch is restoring the layout of the Category View. Maybe there is some damaged info in the settings database and this causes IMatch to crash.

If this solves the problem, send the the PTS file. I'm not sure if I can repro the crash here with another database, but unless IMatch produces a DUMP file on your machine, that's the only chance we have.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Thanks, Mario, I did so.

Phew, it seems to work. NO white screen.
IMatch is loading.

Your "Vermutung" could be correct, because this morning I had changed slightly the file layout. But it worked perfectly, the crash was, when I was in the category view and opend the viewer and changed a dot.

YEP!! Thanks  a lot, my db is again here, I could load it.
I send you the pts, like you wrote, as a zip.

-------
weiss der Henker, was ich immer wieder mal falsch mache, sorry!

Markus

Mario

Quoteweiss der Henker, was ich immer wieder mal falsch mache, sorry!

So was sollte nicht passieren. Insbesondere weil die settings database extra 'sicher' arbeitet und immer direkt auf die Platte schreibt. Aber es besteht immer eine Chance das sich ungünstige Umstände addieren und dann genau so ein Fall eintritt. Ist dann halt Pech. Du kannst ja einfach die PTS-Datei von vor dem Crash vom Backup wiederherstellen.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Quote from: Mario on August 26, 2014, 08:59:03 PM
Quoteweiss der Henker, was ich immer wieder mal falsch mache, sorry!

So was sollte nicht passieren. Insbesondere weil die settings database extra 'sicher' arbeitet und immer direkt auf die Platte schreibt. Aber es besteht immer eine Chance das sich ungünstige Umstände addieren und dann genau so ein Fall eintritt. Ist dann halt Pech. Du kannst ja einfach die PTS-Datei von vor dem Crash vom Backup wiederherstellen.

Danke, Mario,

Genau wie Du sagst, ist wie im Leben, irgendwas sollte nicht, aber passiert halt trotzdem.

Exakt so wie meine pts, die ich "natürlich" nicht gebackupt hatte. Ich hatte nur alles dbs gesichert.
Nun, soll mir eine Lehre sein, ich habe jetzt erst so richtig realisiert, was alles in der pts drin ist, wohl von workflow über Variablen (in den Prefs) und file-layouts bis hin zu eigenen Metapanels.

Nun, nicht dramatisch, aber natürlich dumm gelaufen. Bin ja selbst schuld, kostet halt einfach Zeit. Werde also in Zukunft diese datei auch backupen.

Danke für Deinen Support!
Markus

sinus

BTW: I wonder ... my (old) db with the new pts runs mutch more smoother and stable and no white screens.

Hm, could it be, that my old (unfortunately not backuped) pts is somehow wrong and made hence some troubles?

My old pts (what I sent to you) has 10'928 KB
My new created has now 856 KB.

Is it normal, that the pts - file grows and grows or is it simply that big, because I made a lot of preferences?
Markus

sinus

Because I have lost my pts-file, I remembered, that here on this forum we had some discussion about how to backup some preferences.

Some information are in the db itself.
And some other important infos are in this pts-file.

So we should backup both (and more).

I will do now, additionally, make a screenshot, from every page of the preferences and save this shots to a word-doc. Maybe there are better ways (scripting?), but for me this is now a good think, though a bit cumbersume.

If a new version arised, I can also simply comparing the prefs, if there is a new one.
Markus