Does IMatch 5 have the equivalent of IMatch 3 Quick Copy and Quick Move?

Started by DavidOfMA, July 13, 2014, 07:05:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidOfMA

I'm a frequent user of the IMatch 3 "Quick Move" and "Quick Copy" right-click commands. I haven't been able to find anything equivalent in the IMatch 5 Help or UI. Other than dragging and dropping directly or to a Favorite shortcut, is there a quick way to move a group of files from one folder to another, as in IMatch 3?

Thanks,
David

Richard

By using "move" to search in Help I found the following.

QuoteMoving Files To move one or more files, select the files in the file window and press Ctrl+X to cut them into the Windows clipboard. Switch to the target folder and press Ctrl+V to paste the files into this folder. You can also use the corresponding commands available in the file window context menu.

Mario

To move/copy files and folders we have:

+ Drag and Drop
+ Copy/Paste
+ Favorites your create yourself
+ The automatic Folder and Category histories in the Favorites panel (which is a replacement of Quick Copy / Quick Move in IMatch 3)

From the For IMatch 3 Users section in the help:

Favorites

This is a new concept in IMatch 5, which also replaces the User Tools and the Quick Copy/Move features from IMatch 3. Similar to favorites or bookmarks in your web browser, you can use Favorites in IMatch to launch applications, assign files to categories, copy or move files to folders and much more.

This section also explains how IMatch 5 replaces or extends other IMatch 3 features. You can find it by opening the help via the Help menu and then click on For IMatch 3 Users directly near the top.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DavidOfMA

Thank you, Mario and Richard. Mario, I have read the migration guide, and also the section on Favorites. Richard, I read the Help section on cutting and pasting to move files.

What I was asking, which must not have make clear, was if there was a direct equivalent to the right-click "Quick Move" and "Quick Copy". It seems that the automatic Folder and Category histories is pretty close in terms of functionality, though it requires me to keep the Favorites panel open instead of autohiding it along with the others, which is what I have been doing.  What I liked about the right-click commands was that they didn't require me to take any screen real estate away from displaying images, but now  I know where to find the functionality and I'll adapt to the new way of doing this.

Thanks again,
David

Mario

The Automatic Folder and Category history in the Favorites Panel have replaced the similar feature used in IMatch 3.
You can set the Favorites Panel to auto-hide to save screen space.
You can add Favorites for your frequently used folders and assign keyboard shortcuts to them. Then you can move/copy files with <F3>,<Your Shortcut>.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DavidOfMA

Okay, thanks. The keyboard shortcut technique should be a good replacement for the right-click menu, for my purposes.

danielsl

Even it looks so simple to for imatch creator to talk about new features and implementations

I can't understand how to use quick copy or quick move of files, I need keyboard shortcuts.

and no even one example here at all.
Until this better to stick to imatch 3

I .m sure almost anyone need this functionality

Mario

QuoteI can't understand how to use quick copy or quick move of files, I need keyboard shortcuts.

1. Did you read the help topic on the Favorites Panel yet? It explains it all.
2. Did you read the "For IMatch 3 users" help topic? It explains how Quick Copy/Move has been replaced.
3. You can copy/move files to recently used folders (aka Quick Copy / Move) via the Folder History in the Favorites Panel. Did you try that?
4. You can drag any folder (or category) to the Favorites panel to create a favorite. And then you can use them with the mouse or assign a keyboard shortcut. Did you try that?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

RainerG

I find that drag and drop is very dangerous!

It's the same drive then copying.
It's another drive then moving. I can can see it (+ on mousepointer is moving) but but I do not look it, always.
I have no tested what happened when drag from Imatch pics together from different drives! Copying, moving or both?

I always know where source and target is!

Copy and move from imatch 3.6 are better in this relationship!
RainerGausH
www.BunteReisebilder.de

Mario

There really is nothing dangerous about copying or moving files...

Please read the help again about how IMatch copies and moves files when you use drag and drop ("File Management").
It's the same as in Windows Explorer. Hold down <Ctrl> to toggle.

If you are unsure or in fear, don't use drag and drop. Use one of the other methods, e.g. Copy/Cut/Paste or the Favorites panel.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

muranod

Helpful discussion here. I hadn't even gotten to favorites yet. Another great feature to learn and use.

JoeHolzwurm

I was searching for the same thing (how to copy files quick to a folder).
Ok, now I know that I should use the favorites but how do I get a folder into the favorites panel which is not shown in the Media & Folder view?
I need folder to copy files to which are not shown in the Imatch database and they should not be visible in the database.

herman

Quote from: JoeHolzwurm on August 27, 2014, 01:56:05 PM
I was searching for the same thing (how to copy files quick to a folder).
Ok, now I know that I should use the favorites but how do I get a folder into the favorites panel which is not shown in the Media & Folder view?
I need folder to copy files to which are not shown in the Imatch database and they should not be visible in the database.

You can use the Renamer to copy files to any folder and select to not add the selected folder to the database.
When you have defined that Renamer copy action you can place a shortcut to the Renamer action in the favorites.
Enjoy!

Herman.

JoeHolzwurm

I do not understand that. In the Renamer I cannot change the destination folder. I just can rename the file.
That sounds very strange for me.

herman

See attachment  ;)

And please read the help file on the Renamer topic.
You may find it to be one of the most powerful tools in IMatch.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Enjoy!

Herman.

Mario

QuoteI need folder to copy files to which are not shown in the Imatch database and they should not be visible in the database.

This is very easy:

To copy files to a folder not indexed by your database, the easiest way is either:

* Drag and drop the files from the IMatch File Window to a Windows Explorer window

or

+ Just Copy the files into the clipboard in IMatch (File Window, select, <Ctrl>+<C>), and then Paste them into an Explorer Window. Exactly as you would copy them in Windows Explorer itself.

This is explained in the help topic File Management in the IMatch help. I highly recommend to reading the help to learn about IMatch. It's impossible to just find out all the features by luck.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

JoeHolzwurm

Thanks for the answers.
I read the help but sometimes it is difficult to find the right chapter for the problem and English is not my favorite. This can cause misunderstandings.

I found the solution from herman and it works fine. I think that I cannot find this solution in the help file.

Mario

Which solution? Using a Copy or Move step in the Renamer?
That's explained in the help for sure. But this is not the best solution for your problem. You only want to copy files to a folder not indexed by your database, and this is quickest with Ctrl+C in IMatch and then Ctrl+V in Windows Explorer.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

JoeHolzwurm

I do not use the Explorer but surely your solution would work in my file manager as well. I usually do not use these functions to copy and paste files. Strg-C and Strg-V is not my usual way to copy files.
Why should I not use the solution of herman? It works fine and is exactly what I was searching for.

I am sure that you explained copying and moving files in the Renamer but I never would have searched there for a solution of my problem.

You always tell the forum users to use and read the help file. That sounds as if you do not like the questions in the forum and that you are annoyed by the questions.
I read your help and I did read a lot but please try to understand that for a lot of people it is difficult to understand English and sometimes you have to find the right chapter for the actual problem. If it is not allowed to ask in the forum you can close it or just do not answer to my questions.

herman

Quote from: Mario on August 27, 2014, 04:14:42 PMYou only want to copy files to a folder not indexed by your database, and this is quickest with Ctrl+C in IMatch and then Ctrl+V in Windows Explorer.
That may depend.....

When it is a one-time effort the Windows shortcuts are the quickest way.

When you have to do this frequently a shortcut may be easier.

For example, when I import pictures from my handy I have go through the following steps:

1. rename the pictures to my standard naming scheme and move them to a folder in my folder tree, the folder may have to be created on-the-fly
2. write-protect the files
3. copy the renamed files to my back-up drive to a folder which may have to be created on-the-fly. The back-up folder tree is NOT in my main database.

I have Renamer actions for steps 1. and 3, shortcuts to these actions are in the favorites so they are just one click away.

I had the impression that JoelHolzwurm wanted a shortcut to the destination folder, so a shortcut to the Renamer action may be the closest thing.
Enjoy!

Herman.

Mario

If you also need to rename files, adding a copy step is of course easier. But the OT asked how to copy files from IMatch to a folder not in the database. And the least confusing answer is <Ctr>+<C> -> Windows Explorer -> <Ctrl>+<V>.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator