How to write imatch categories to iptc objectname?

Started by martha, August 28, 2014, 05:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martha

I use imatch a long time, at least since 2004, normally I dont need a newer version, but probably it is better to be "on time". But this time I dont be able to do the things, I normally did with the program: to write anything into an IPTC field automatically.
In imatch3.6 was a script : copy imatch categories into iptc categories.
And the objectname than is shown as title in flickr.
How can I do this now in imatch 5? If I had more time perhaps I would find it, but so I need your help. Thanks. Martha

Ferdinand

I suggest you read this very recent thread:
https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=3232.0

You may be short of time, but you will need to find some time in order to manage the migration to IMatch 5.  It's not that hard, but there are some things to learn.

People who make some effort to help themselves (reading excellent help file, searching the community forum) will find that they get the most assistance on this forum.

Mario

1. The Object Name was part of the old IPTC metadata standard, which is legacy for many years now. It should no longer be used for new files.
IMatch 5 by default does not show or write this metadata tag. Consider using XMP metadata instead. I'm sure Flickr supports XMP.

2. Metadata Templates (look that up in the IMatch help) are an easy way to copy metadata from one tag to another. Basically you can use everything that is accessible via a variable (look that up in the help) to any metadata tag, including categories. Since there are many ways to navigate, format and select categories to copy (you may not want to copy all categories for example), make sure you read the help on category variables.

3. If you use keywords for your files, including the special @Keywords category, your image files already contain a copy of your categories, inside the hierarchical subject XMP tag. If Flickr has not slept the past 10 years, they should be able to pull your categories/keywords from your files without the need for you to manually copying things around. That's a thing of the past.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook