Converter: abnormal termination

Started by sinus, August 28, 2014, 08:51:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Hi Mario
I converted this week my DB two times.
The first ended up with a abnormal termination, but I thought, I did something wrong.
Yesterday I did it again, and after 20 hours or so the same thing, abnormal termination.

I have looked, the log is 2.5 GB.
Because this is too much work for you, and because it is not that important now (I work still with IM3 for production), I wanted ask you:

Can I do something, before I try it again? I did before a diagnostic and optimizing in IM3.
I guess, you can not say a lot, but maybe you have an idea, so that I can try it during the weekend again?

Here the screenshot attached.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Ferdinand

How big is the log if you zip it?  (There may be more than one log file IIRC)

Mario

The crash happened somewhere in the Microsoft Runtime Library.
The converter was currently importing metadata from files.

Did you run the conversion before? I thought so.

The error may be caused by one or more badly damaged files which crash ExifTool. Or which deliver data which breaks something in IMatch. Hard to say with 200,000 files. You will find the name of these files near the end of the log files.

Without having the log file, I cannot say anything. I need all three logs.
When you ZIP them they should shrink down to maybe 10% of their original size. Then you can upload them to my FTP server.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on August 28, 2014, 07:02:25 PM
Did you run the conversion before? I thought so.

Thanks, Mario,

You are correct, I did run the conversion before, with success, but with 2 entries with root-entries, what I never had (in IM3) and surely also not did create.

If I remember right, you have in the next build something, to correct this.
So I think, I wait for the next build and if I am lucky, I can go with the converted db, because there seems to be all ok.

@Ferdinand: thanks for your post, as I wrote above, I will first wait for the next build
Markus

Mario

If it worked before, I wonder what has changed.
I guess a couple of thousand of databases have been converted, and there were only very few reports about problems with the conversion (many of them related to properties->attributes conversion, and easily solved by correcting the property settings in IMatch 3).

The converter does not add root folders which are not in the IMatch 3 database, if this is what you mean with "2 entries with root-entries".
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

densac

I have the same problem. Just trying to convert another of my 3.6 databases (240k images) and after 4-5 hours I get 'abnormal program termination'. I end up with a 2.6Gb logfile and looking at it the final entry before the error is 'EXIFTOOL; Launching.......... Have tried it twice with same result...what should I now try?

Mario

Since I cannot see the log files, I have not the slightest clue about what the converter is doing on your system, if the source database is OK, what the problem is etc. The converter produces three log files, all documented in the database converter help. Please upload the log files somewhere, or contact me via email for the address info about the FTP server. Log files ZIP very well, usually down to 1/10 of the original size. And the converter log is usually pretty small even for large databases.

If you assume that ExifTool is hanging: IMatch waits up to 180 seconds before it abandons the ExifTool instance and starts a new. If you have a bunch of files which crash ExifTool (unusual) the database converter will become real slow. In this case it helps to fix the damaged files, or to remove temp temporarily. I cannot say anything without a log file.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

I have now checked your log file (it has 14 million rows so this was quite q lot).
All I can see is that apparently ExifTool is choking on files in the folder

J:\...\...\cycling\cxc220913\thumbs\

and that IMatch has to abandon it after waiting 180 seconds. The abnormal program termination message you see may be a message from Windows about IMatch forcefully terminating ExifTool. This must not mean that IMatch has been terminated, at least I cannot see a trace of this in the log. IMatch is starting another instance of ExifTool and continues.

Try to remove the folder mentioned above (move it to somewhere else before starting the conversion).

Or, don't convert at all if you don't need to. You can always:

1. Create a new IMatch 5 database and add all files
2. Manually  export categories and optional properties from your IMatch 3 database and import them into IMatch 5.
3. Optionally copy ratings and labels manually as explained in this know-how article.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Thanks, Mario,

for your effort! I will do so.
Markus