Some questions about versions

Started by ilan, July 11, 2013, 10:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilan

Suppose we have a versioning rule via file name. The version is in a sub-folder of the master file. I noticed that if I move the master file to a different folder then the version relation is broken. Is this how this should be? Is there a way to keep the version relation when I move the master file? Is there a simple way to change the version type from "link via file name" to "linked manually"?

Lord_Helmchen

In versioning configuration you can specify in which folders versions of an image shall be found. You may check what you have configured there. If you have selected to only check child folders this might be the reason for loosing the relation. You may play with different settings to see which configuration fits to your workflow.

ilan

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the rule was to check sub-folders. I just wondered if file relations should be broken if a file is renamed or moved. After all the file is still the same file after being moved. Manual versions for example remain versions if one of them is renamed or moved to another folder.

Mario

QuoteI noticed that if I move the master file to a different folder then the version relation is broken. Is this how this should be?

Yes. If you have configured that the version is in a specific sub-folder relative to the master folder and you move the master to a folder but let the version in the old folder. Or when you rename a master and break the rules which link the master to the version by file name. There are many ways to break the rules you configure for your file relations.

QuoteIs there a way to keep the version relation when I move the master file?

Buddy file relation. Never move only the master file. Don't rename only the master file when you link master and version via the file name. Etc.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook