Thesaurus for Country Code and Country

Started by JoeHolzwurm, August 28, 2014, 01:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeHolzwurm

In IM3 we had a droplist in the IPTC field for the Country Code and the Country and I could just select a new code or country.
In IM5 the field is empty and the thesaurus is empty as well. For new countries I mostly do not know the Country Code. Is there any way to get the list for the country code and the country into IM5?

Ferdinand

Good question.

IMatch 5 has a universal thesaurus.  While you mainly see it in the Keywords panel, any metadata field can have its own section of the thesaurus.  There is a whole page in the help file on the thesaurus.

As you saw, the thesaurus for fields like country is initially empty.  You create it by creating a first entry.  So you type something like "France" in the country field and then from the drop-down menu you choose "add to thesaurus (F6)".  Now you can go to the keywords panel, open up the thesaurus editor, and manage the thesaurus for that field.  The very top drop-down list in the thesaurus editor is the field in question, and then what shows below are the entries.  At this point you can edit and import.

One option is to populate the thesaurus from existing entries in the DB.  This is probably worth doing, although it may also highlight inconsistencies.

But you want to import new entries.  What I think you could do is take the C:\Program Files (x86)\photools.com\IMatch36\imiptctags.ipt which contains the country codes from V3.6 and edit it into a format that IMatch 5 can import. 

I have done this and attached the two files.  You may need to experiment with importing these files, perhaps use a test DB.  Worked for me.

Note that there is no way to link country names and country codes, like you could in IMatch 3.6

[attachment deleted by admin]

JoeHolzwurm

Thanks for your reply. The first explanations for the thesaurus I already knew. I was searching for an existing list. I think the last part of your answer will help me and I will try your files.
Thank you very much.

JoeHolzwurm

@Ferdinand
That worked fine. Thank you for help and your work.

Richard

QuoteNote that there is no way to link country names and country codes, like you could in IMatch 3.6

Couldn't "FRA" be added as a synonym of "France"?

Ferdinand

Quote from: Richard on August 28, 2014, 04:15:00 PM
QuoteNote that there is no way to link country names and country codes, like you could in IMatch 3.6

Couldn't "FRA" be added as a synonym of "France"?

That's an interesting idea, but I don't think it can be done across segments of the thesaurus.  That is, a keyword has a synonym which is automatically added at the same time, i.e another keyword.  But Country Code and Country Name are in separate segments of the thesaurus and I don't think that synonyms can be linked across thesaurus segments this way.  Unless there's something that I missed.

Mario previously stated that these two fields couldn't be automatically linked in IMatch 5 like they were in IMatch 3.6, unless someone wrote an app or something.

Richard

I was thinking of them as keyword/synonym to associate them.

Ferdinand

Quote from: Richard on August 28, 2014, 06:43:19 PM
I was thinking of them as keyword/synonym to associate them.

But I'm still not sure how you would get it to work.  If you use a keyword synonym, you automatically assign more keywords in the same field (keywords - which takes multiple entries).  For the country and country code fields, what you want to do is automatically assign a value in a different field.  Can't see a way to do it for non-keyword fields.