Simple backup process

Started by Mserjeantson, August 30, 2014, 05:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mserjeantson

Over the many years in which I have used iMatch, I have stored my year's photos and my iMatch database files on a USB drive attached to my key ring. I also transfer the files onto my laptop so that I can manage my images when I am on holiday. This is secure enough in that it is unlikely that I will lose 2 computers and my door keys simultaneously. I also have quarterly backups in a fire safe.

With iMatch 3.6 I directed all of the iMatch files to a single location, which currently contains 21 files occupying about 500 mb. All I have to do is transfer this set of files onto another machine and I have a database ready to run.

Is it possible to achieve this with iMatch 5?

Just to confuse the issue, I have 2 completely separate databases, one for my photography - about 30,000 images to date - and a much smaller one which I am starting to use to store scanned images of recipes - I am a keen cook. Will the backup files be common?

Thanks if anyone can clarify this.

Mario

I have written a lot of backup in the IMatch help. Did you read this info yet?
Also, IMatch comes with a built-in tool called Pack & Go which automatically backups all settings, scripts, presets and optionally also your database. Search the help for Pack & Go for details.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DigPeter

Quote from: Mserjeantson on August 30, 2014, 05:54:21 PM
Is it possible to achieve this with iMatch 5?

Just to confuse the issue, I have 2 completely separate databases, one for my photography - about 30,000 images to date - and a much smaller one which I am starting to use to store scanned images of recipes - I am a keen cook. Will the backup files be common?
Pack & Go works very well, both for back up and restore.  I use it all the time, placing the resultant back up file on a USB drive.  It is the method I use to keep my two computers in synch.  But it only backs up the IM5 files, not the images.  For this you must use an other method.

You can back up both your databases, which ill be placed in a single back up file.

Mserjeantson

That all makes sense now. Many thanks.

Meyricke