Back to Imatch and question

Started by jcldl, September 01, 2014, 06:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcldl

I left Imatch 3, 4 years ago for Idimager then PSU. But now I tried Imatch 5, and I think I'll keep it in place of PSU which is buggy and sometime very slow, even if it's a good software.
I have a question about queries. I want to select pictures which focal length is betwwen 100 and 150. I have a category with exiftool focal length, but I do not know how to select some values in this category.
Thanks for your help
jcldl

Mario

There are several ways to do this.

1). Filter Panel
To select files based on metadata (ISO, Lens and over 10,000 other metadata tags IMatch supports):

Open the Filter Panel.
Make sure the Metadata Filter is visible.
From the drop-down select the metadata tag (ISO) you are interested in.
The filter shows all values for that tag in the current scope (what you see in the file window).
By setting the scope (the folder(s), categories, the database) you control where you search.

See Filter Panel in the help. Also make sure you know what the search scope is, and the hierarchical mode of the file window. The IMatch help as usual has all the info.

2) Data-driven Categories

By default, IMatch creates a data-driven category for ISO.
Switch to the Category View and select the category

IMatch Sample Categories > Image Files > ISO

Below this category you find one child category for each ISO value used, and within that category all files with that ISO value.
You can select multiple categories and the file window will show the combined files.

See Data-driven Categories in the help to learn about this feature.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jcldl

Yes I understand, but my problem is different. If I look for "shutter speed"for instance i have a continuum of many digits from for instance 1/25 to 1/5000. If I want select range from 1/50 to 1/1000, is there a way to select all these speeds with a formula: Filter: shutter speed ; Value from 1/25 to 1/1000 .
Thanks
jcldl

Mario

You can create a data-driven category on shutter speed if you need this. Or you just use a Metadata filter.
Did you try this? Takes all but a second...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jcldl

Yes, it's what I did, but I have a problem to write my query: how to say I want the range for instance focal frem100 to 200  . If I write 100 I have all files with 100. But how to have 100 to 200? What can I write as filter?
Si my attachment.
Thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]
jcldl

sinus

I am not at my computer ... but could you not create with the category builder a new category, based on your data-driven categories?
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

Easy.
Set the data type to Integer, and then enter a numeric filter

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jcldl

That's what I did, but it does not work.
If I search ISO with value 100 I have ISO with 100 but also focal with 100, with 1000 and every other category with a value of ?100?? in it. (See file 247 and 250).
But if I write 100,200 the answer is "all pictures" (see file 249).

jcldl

Mario

Ah, you are using the category filter in the Category View!
We'll, that will not work. At least not for what you have in mind.

This search/filter in the Category View designed to allow you to reduce the number of categories you see in the tree (many IMatch users have thousands of categories, and showing only categories matching a filter can improve the workflow a lot).

In your case, you have set it to show all categories containing 200 somewhere in their name.

The Search box you have also filled allows you to quickly find a category by it's name. Also useful if you need to locate a category by it's name quickly. But not for what you want here.

Did you read the help on the Category View yet, because you are mixing concepts? It seems that you are new to IMatch and have not yet learned about how to use the Category View...

As said, the easiest solution for your task is to just select the categories. This shows you all files combined in the file window.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jcldl

Thank you Mario, I understand my mistake. But selection as you say is not always so easy. For instance for lens focal I have all numbers from 10 to 400, but they are not in order. For instance I have 10 then 100, 101....119, then 12,120...and selection is long but can be done of course.

jcldl

Mario

1. You can also select categories with are remote (under the same parent) using <Ctrl>+<Click>

2. You can persist your selection by dragging it to the @Builder and then using it to create a category with a formula from it. This category will then always 'contain' the images in these categories.  See Category Formulas and @Builder in the help.

3. You can make your own data-driven category which uses a numeric filter to contain only the lens or ISO values you are interested in. This is what I referred to in my post above about the numerical filter. See Data-driven Categories in the help for details.

Read the help, get yourself used to the many ways IMatch allows you to create and use categories. Then choose whatever works best for you.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

As I wrote: why not use the builder or better direct create some category-formulas, on this way you have always the newest images in some cats, like

Cat 100-1000 ISO
Cat 200-500 ISO
Cat 50-800 ISO

One formula would be
"IMatch Sample Categories|Image Files|ISO|250" OR "IMatch Sample Categories|Image Files|ISO|800"

this shows you all image with 250 or 800 ISO.
The advantage of formulas is, that you must tpye this all only once!
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

jcldl

Thank you sinus, I created data-driven categories with numeric range and it works!
jcldl