Imatch and snapfiles.com

Started by Michel_C, September 05, 2014, 11:34:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michel_C

Just for info. On the web site snapfiles.com, Imatch V5.2.0 is mentioned under"Featured New Releases & Updates", but description and snapshots are related to Imatch 3. I don't know if snapfiles.com is an interesting "business channel", but it could be worth to update the product information.

Mario

There are dozens, if not hundreds, of such 'freeware'/'trialware' web sites. They harvest software via the PAD software directory or other sources.
I don't setup IMatch on these sites, I don't have logins to correct the info etc.

In many cases (not all!) they wrap the software they offer for download inside a container, trying to install adware, maybe virusses etc. on the downloader's PC. In other cases these web sites are only setup (dozens of them, under different domain names) in order to lure search engine traffic on their web sites to make money from displaying advertisements.

I can see where the traffic for the photools.com web site comes from, and these sites generate no downloads or links to my site at all. The sites which  generate traffic get my attention and I try to update the info, inform them about outdated versions etc. It's different for each site, and sometimes you get feedback, sometimes not.

The shareware sites which pull their data from the PAD network get info about updates automatically. Reliable sites like heise keep themselves up-to-date (and scan IMatch with 40 (!) virus checkers every time I ship an update). For all the others, I don't care. I cannot create accounts with all these sites and the manually update them all the time.

What IMatch needs is qualified exposure on sites like dpreview.com or other sites in the photo/DAM space. But since I cannot afford to pay for advertisements and I cannot post information about IMatch myself (to prevent being banned) I can only rely on my users to report honestly what DAM they use, why they've chosen IMatch etc.

I cannot stress the point enough that only this helps getting the word out. Everybody who has Facebook and friends which may find IMatch useful should mail them. Same for G+ or whatever photography web sites you frequently use: spread the word!
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook