Configuration directory to be set at one place in Preferences

Started by rik, October 13, 2013, 12:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rik

Is there a possibility to add an option in (e.g.) the Preferences panel which allows to specify the location of all of the configuration files/folders? Now you have to modify the file/folder paths at several different locations in the Preference panel (and as far as I understand you cannot move all of them).

Now, the configuration files/folders are by default in c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\photools.com\IMatch5\. I would like to move them to a different location.

Thanks,
Rik

Mario

This folder has been chosen because it is the suggested folder for "per-application" data in Windows. Many 'backup' applications automatically back up this folder hierarchy, including the data managed by IMatch in these folders. This is by far the best way to handle this for the majority of users.

The feature to change the folders for scripts or templates exists to support multi-user environments. Corporate or studio environments mostly. Here it makes sense to setup dedicated and shared folders for scripts and templates, accessible for multiple users without additional replication needs.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

rik

Thanks. I was asking this not because I have a multi user environment, but because I have a file server on which I would like to have all the data related to IMatch. Then I can backup the file server data and need not concern about backups of the windows client where IMatch is installed.