IMatch installs ok in the Windows 10 Technical Preview

Started by Ferdinand, October 20, 2014, 01:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferdinand

Someone had to try it didn't they?  I am pleased to report that IMatch 5 installs just fine in the Windows 10 Technical Preview. 

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ferdinand

I had a feeling that I probably wasn't the first.   ;)

I assume that you're using VirtualBox.  Did you manage to get the Guest Additions to install by any chance?

Mario

Will take some time until GA will work. I think you can install them when you set the compatibility mode of the installer (properties of the exe file on the CD ISO). VMWare works out of the box. I did not do much testing with Windows 10 because preview versions are just that. I don't need to implement W10-related features yet, which means I can wait until it is released.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ferdinand

Quote from: Mario on October 20, 2014, 02:24:58 PM
Will take some time until GA will work. I think you can install them when you set the compatibility mode of the installer (properties of the exe file on the CD ISO).

Some people have apparently had success doing this, but not I.  The /force option didn't help either.  As you say, it's just novelty value at this stage.

Ferdinand

Quote from: Ferdinand on October 20, 2014, 09:28:55 PM
Quote from: Mario on October 20, 2014, 02:24:58 PM
Will take some time until GA will work. I think you can install them when you set the compatibility mode of the installer (properties of the exe file on the CD ISO).

Some people have apparently had success doing this, but not I.  The /force option didn't help either.  As you say, it's just novelty value at this stage.

Not many people will be interested in this, but since I raised the issue I should report that I finally found how to install Guest Additions in Win10 in VirtualBox 4.3.18:
https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64251#p302190

Lord_Helmchen

BTW: I hope all who have installed Win10 have read carefully MS's special Beta Testing license agreement. According to German computer magazine c't they allow themselves to monitor a lot of your behavior. If I remember correct also some data.

So better not use and personnel/confidential data on that Beta system.

Ferdinand

Quote from: Lord_Helmchen on October 22, 2014, 06:04:11 PM
So better not use and personnel/confidential data on that Beta system.

You can we sure that I am aware of this.  I just want to know, for planning purposes, whether I'd be prepared to upgrade to it.  I don't need to give too much away in order to form this view.  I did the same for Win8 and decided no way.  With Win8.1 I decided not use it if I could possibly avoid it, but if there was no choice then I could live with if I had to.  So far I think Win10 would be ok, although I don't like the overall look.  Perhaps I'm just a little conservative.