Preview PDF | Quick View = Slow-View | your solutions?

Started by khfnet, October 16, 2014, 09:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khfnet

Problem:

The display in the Quick View window takes a long time.
As state program under Win7 I have now set Acrobat XI.

With Acrobat Reader, it took minutes,
With a viewer of nuance as well.
With Acrobat XI 4-8 seconds depending on the pdf.
In preview multiple files (send to viever) the whole 5 times or 10.
If you have selected to many files, nothing works until it has finished.

How did you solve it?
Live your order?
Beste Grüße
Karl

Mario

If you have set the cache to on-demand (Edit > Preferences > Cache) IMatch creates the cache image when you view the PDF for the first time.
If you have problems with slow loading PDFs, why not create the cache images once (right-click the folder, then Cache...) or let IMatch create the cache files when it ingests the files into the database?

I cannot write my own PDF reader (this takes an entire company of developers) and neither I can fix the crappy PDF components shipped by Adobe or make them faster. But once IMatch has the PDF file cached, it will be blazing fast.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

RalfC

Quote from: khfnet on October 16, 2014, 09:28:31 PM
How did you solve it?

I'm using Foxit Reader (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/)
Seems to generate the quick view about as fast as for JPGs (or at least within seconds for multiple files)...

Regards,
Ralf

khfnet

Quote from: Mario on October 16, 2014, 09:36:11 PM
If you have set the cache to on-demand (Edit > Preferences > Cache) IMatch creates the cache image when you view the PDF for the first time.
If you have problems with slow loading PDFs, why not create the cache images once (right-click the folder, then Cache...) or let IMatch create the cache files when it ingests the files into the database?

I cannot write my own PDF reader (this takes an entire company of developers) and neither I can fix the crappy PDF components shipped by Adobe or make them faster. But once IMatch has the PDF file cached, it will be blazing fast.

made

1 directory
3 directories under
17 files

After 10 minutes clicked a directory
imatch depends
No change to other program
all is blocked

after 30 minutes there are shown some wrong previevs (of other files)
IM is ever in front
I must minimize IM to work with other program

If I had worked file by file it were done in 5 minutes
I take a look tomorrow
Beste Grüße
Karl

Mario

Please always include a log file when you report a bug or problem.
How to report bugs

Without a log file I cannot even tell where and if IMatch is hanging. This seems rather to be a case that the Adobe PDF component installed on your system chokes on one or more PDF files. I have several of such files in my test suite. The Adobe PDF component uses up all CPU power, allocates gigabytes of memory and takes minutes to process a single file.

If you keep an eye on Windows Task Manager you can quickly tell if this s the problem on your box. If the memory goes up and a process named acrordr or similar uses 25% or more CPU, your files cause the problem. In this case, we would know what the problem is. And Adobe would be responsible for the mess.

But such problems are pretty rare, which is why there are no special options in IMatch to disable preview generation for PDF files. If you are in the unlucky position that all your PDF files are in a format which crashes the Adobe PDF component, only Adobe can help. Contact them, send them a file, ask for support. You may even get an answer without paying money up-front...

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

khfnet

Quote from: Mario on October 17, 2014, 08:46:37 AM
If you keep an eye on Windows Task Manager you can quickly tell if this s the problem on your box. If the memory goes up and a process named acrordr or similar uses 25% or more CPU, your files cause the problem. In this case, we would know what the problem is. And Adobe would be responsible for the mess.

We talked about .......
There are two processes (adobe und MS-Indexer), each use 12-17% CPU, total ~ 25%
What's about the Indexer? You said only aha
Beste Grüße
Karl

khfnet

Quote from: Mario on October 16, 2014, 09:36:11 PM
...... or let IMatch create the cache files when it ingests the files into the database?
This will be my second trial.
But first I have to count my pdf's. (how?)
Then Calculate how long it will take.
Beste Grüße
Karl

Mario

Since you decided to run two threads on the same issue, you generating extra work. Please reply only to one thread.
You did not answer my questions in the other thread and did not provide a sample PDF so I cannot do anything on this or give you tips. Please read your other thread and stick to one of both, thanks.

To find out how many PDF files you have, just use a file format filter on the entire database.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

RalfC

Quote from: khfnet on October 17, 2014, 09:35:24 AM
There are two processes (adobe und MS-Indexer), each use 12-17% CPU, total ~ 25%

I seem to remember that I commented on the indexer (and gave a link how to disable if you want to)

Regards,
Ralf

khfnet

Quote from: Mario on October 17, 2014, 03:34:46 PM
Since you decided to run two threads on the same issue, you generating extra work. Please reply only to one thread.
You did not answer my questions in the other thread and did not provide a sample PDF so I cannot do anything on this or give you tips. Please read your other thread and stick to one of both, thanks.
Yes, I started two threads. English is difficult for me.
But I thought perhaps there will be more reply of the 80% English-speaking IM-Users.
During the day I have to work really, and  spend even more time than I should in the forum.
But now I will answer to the replys and Questions.
I believe I didn't start a cross-conversation between the Threads.
But that was not a good idea.
I will continue in [German]-thread.

Goodbye
Beste Grüße
Karl

khfnet

Quote from: RalfC on October 17, 2014, 04:20:23 PM
Quote from: khfnet on October 17, 2014, 09:35:24 AM

I seem to remember that I commented on the indexer (and gave a link how to disable if you want to)

Regards,
Ralf

Ich habe dazu einen separaten Thread gestartet. Bisher hat er mich nicht gestört. Aber ich nutze seine Vorteile ohnehin nur selten weil ich meine gesamten Daten zwecks Volltextsuche separat indiziert habe.
Beste Grüße
Karl