Filter by using keywords which are not write-back

Started by EmilienH, October 24, 2014, 10:31:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmilienH

Hello,

Currently I'm finalized the testing of IMatch in my company 15 potential users, We have to manage 90 000 photos and every day we add others photos into the database. I still have one problem I tried to work we option Write-back changes to metadata immediately but It very time consuming.
So What I want to do is to work without this option (because we can put keywords and metadata immediately so it's time saving) and write-back changes to metadata once per week. It's look to be a good compromise but when I want to filter using keywords that I have just put (so not write-back) but I can't because there are not write-back.
Do you have a solution for this problem?

Thank you for your responses

Best regards

Emilien
Kverneland Group

EmilienH

For make it simple:

I want to search files with pending metadata write-back using keywords in filter panel. I don't know if there a way to do this.

Mario

QuoteSo What I want to do is to work without this option (because we can put keywords and metadata immediately so it's time saving) and write-back changes to metadata once per week
This is why IMatch was designed that way. Depending on the file format you are using, where your files are stored (fast internal disk or rather slow NAS or remote server), writing back can be slow. The ability to separate entering metadata from writing it back guarantees a fast workflow.

You could even automate writing back files with a custom script which is ran by IMatch at a certain time. This can be achieved using the built-in scheduler in the Application which can run scripts at specific times (e.g. during the night).

Quotewhen I want to filter using keywords that I have just put (so not write-back) but I can't because there are not write-back.
I'm not sure that I understand this sentence.

Do you want to filter for specific keywords in files which have pending write-back?
You can include the Collection Filter and filter for files in the "Pending Write-back" Collection.

If you want to find files with specific keywords which have no pending write-back, do the same, but invert the Collection filter (so it returns all files not in the Pending Write-back collection.

If you only want to process files added or updated recently, use one of the "Recent" collections as a filter.

You can create a category with a formula combining the collections you want, e.g., combine "files recently added" and NOT "write-back" collections in a category formula to see all files which still need processing). There is a lot of cool things you can to to get an easy overview about which files still need processing, which files have been processed and need write-back etc...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

You replied to yourself while I was composing my answer. See there for details.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

EmilienH

Thank you Mario for your answer

I will try to better explain my problem with this two screenshots attached. So I put the keyword "XL" to the picture but I didn't write back metadata (cause I want to do this task at the end of the weekend).
Later I want to research this photo so I use Value filter: 'Keywords' But the keyword "XL" wasn't into list (see the second screen).

I hope you will understand my problem

Thank you for your feed back

Best regards

Emilien

Kverneland group

[attachment deleted by admin]

EmilienH

cytochrome

It may depend on your settings in Preferences>Metadata.

When I enter a Keyword in the Keyword Panel, and I commit it with the Green icon (it is then written to DB) but I don't click the pencil, I find it under Hierarchical Keywords in the filter panel and I can filter on it.

Francis

Mario

IMatch updates hierarchical keywords when you use the Keyword Panel.
The field named Keywords in the Default Metadata Panel layout is linked to the hierarchical keywords too.

Only when you write-back metadata, hierarchical keywords are propagated (copied) into the flat keywords - depending on the file format and the settings you have chosen for writing IPTC data etc.

Just switch your Value filter to Hierarchical Keywords to see the keywords you have assigned.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator