imatch trial doesn't work

Started by kirk, October 25, 2014, 02:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kirk

installed once, worked at first then it's starting to show this error ( picture attached ).  All the same after re-installation .

Tried to run it as administrator, no difference

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

A file system privilege problem.
Do you run any security or anti-virus software?
Did you disable all this software while installing IMatch as asked by Windows installer?

Please make sure that the folder "C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch5\config" and all files contained within are writable by the user under which you run IMatch. If not even the Administrator is allowed to change files in that folder, something series has gone wrong when Windows Installer created that folder. By default this folder is read/write for all users.

Try this:

Right click the "C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch5\config" in Windows Explorer.
Switch to the security tab and make sure that "All Users" or "Everyone" has read/write/modify privileges for this folder, and all files contained within.
Let us know if you have never configured security settings yourself and need assistance, or check the Windows help for how using Windows Explorer to set file system privileges.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

kirk

Just tried to make a small test text file in that folder.   No problem at all.   I can write there even with usual account without administrator rights.

Imatch worked normally at first , it started to appear after a while, after I tried to convert my 3.6 database.
The conversion  tool shown an error or something in an hour.   Then I tried to open the base nevertheless.  Imatch started  but  crashed shortly after .  And now this

it's  in win 8.      Also  I am not sure how to disable Norton software.   Usually it doesn't prevent to install soft correctly

I also can rename that file  imatch5.pts  without problems

Mario

You are unfortunately giving me sufficient info to help you.

IMatch writes a log file with important info in case there is problem. See logfile in the IMatch help for details.
The database converter also writes a log file.

Please ZIP and attach these log files. Many things can go wrong or fail (IMatch has over 300 error messages) so we need to know exactly what the problem is, if and which messages IMatch is presenting to you etc.

You say that IMatch 5 was running already, and that the write problem to the PTS database file happened suddenly?
Please close IMatch. Rename the file to imatch5.pts.old.

Restart IMatch. IMatch creates a new PTS file automatically. If this again fails, there is a problem with the security on your system or some external software (anti-virus?) is blocking IMatch from reading or writing this important file. IMatch cannot work when this file cannot be read and/or written.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

kirk

it helped  but only after  I renamed  imatch5.pts.bak  also  which required me administrator password this time.    After I did this everything went back to normal

Thanks for your help

Mario

Quotealso  which required me administrator password this time.

This was the problem then. For some reason, the file was being created with "Admin-only" access. And when you run IMatch via a normal user, the file cannot be updated.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator