Visually Duplicate Images In Addition to Binary Identical Ones

Started by Darius1968, August 06, 2013, 04:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darius1968

IMatch 5, like its predecessor, IMatch allows one to find Binary Duplicates, but how to search for ones that are visually identical, but just not binary identical.  The visually similar search in this program doesn't seem to be very successful here.  Thanks. 

Mario

Please explain. Actually the visual query in IMatch 5 is much better than the one in IMatch 3.
Which parameters did you use? What results do you get. What results did you expect?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

fischmir

Hello,

I have the same question.  I had many folders (please do not ask why  :-\) of my journey and at the end, I didn't knew which pictures are in which folder and why (some folders where names "copy", "backup",...) . But I know, there are duplicates.

So, I copied all pics into one folder (2.500 picutures) and I want to delete duplicates get each picture only once.

Unfortunately, the pictures are not binary identically (filesize differs about 10KB), but visually.

The duplicate - search is retrieving no result. If I search for visual duplicates, I Match is retreiving at least 50 picures for each pictures (far to much). This is not what I am looking for.

I am looking for any solution, to delete only visual duplicates.

Any idea?

Regards,
Christian

Mario

The visually similar search always returns at least 50 matches per orignal, with the 'best' match on top.

QuoteI am looking for any solution, to delete only visual duplicates.

No algorithm is 100% correct, so this is why IMatch offers you the best 5 matches it could find. It's your's to decide which one to keep.
If the files differ in file size, they are different in some aspect (metadata, compression used, ...) Only you can know which one to keep.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Wolfgang

In a discussion opened from Darius 1968 (Find Visual Duplicates For 1,700 Images) on 1.August 2014, this question was also discussed. I wrote at that time in reference to the 50 most similar pictures: "I want to select/filter only the few images with the highest similarity, let's say above 99 % (as I could in IMatch 3.6). I could not locate the right filter panel for filtering the results window on the Similarity value. I tried to apply the attribute filter to the results, but could not select the Similarity as an attribute. But when I look for example at the Result Window Layout, the Similarity is selected from a attribute list."

Mario answered: "You cannot filter on similarity, such a filter does not exist. Similarity is a volatile value which only exists temporarily in a result set."

I have the same problem as mentioned by Darius1968  and Christian  I could very successfully find visual similar, not necessarily identical pictures, in IMatch 3.6, but could not realize the same in IMatch 5.

Mario, could you explain what has changed in the new version, which makes such a specific search, limited to only the "good" results, so difficult and - as it seems - not possible anymore in IMatch 5 ? Can you propose another solution, how to achieve such a selective , automatic search result as in IMatch 3.6 ?

With regards,

Wolfgang

Mario

This was a decision to keep things simple, removing complexity and features not needed by many.
You search, IMatch returns a default set of the 50 best matches per file you use for your search. The matches are sorted so the best match shows up first - easy to see, identify and to process. And the entire workflow is very simple.

If you want a feature change or addition to existing functionality, the feature request board is the proper place. Be as descriptive as possible. Check first if a similar feature or change request has not already been posted. There are currently over 250 feature requests so it may be already there.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

fischmir

Hallo Mario,

I totally agree with your decision to keep things simple.

As I will use it only once (hope so) it doesn't make sense to integrate such function in iMatch.

AntiTwin did the job perfect (freeware).

Regards,
Christian

Mario

In version 5.2.8 and later you can choose a match count between 5 and 1,000.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator