Restriction for not writing back more than 10.000 pending files

Started by Schmidtze, October 19, 2014, 02:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schmidtze

Please remove the restriction to not write back pending metadata for more than 10.000 files. The appearing dialog says "the operation would cause too much stress on the system". But I think writing 12.000 files is not more stress than 8.000 files, is it? At the moment it is not possible to force something like this in the evening and then get a finished result in the morning. It always takes 2 or 3 days to get all pending data to be rewritten to disk...

Regards
Friedemann

KimAbel

Perhaps a better solution would be to have the possibility to do this in batches automatically?

Say if you have 35000 files with pending metadata and IM goes through these files automatically with 10000 in each step.

Kim Abel

Schmidtze

But why in steps? Of course 20.000 files take longer than 10.000 and 10.000 take longer than 1.000. But I don't see the problem to allow writing back of 100.0000 files. Then of course it will take a long of time, but that's ok. I will take a lot more time when the steps have to be done manually. A batch job will maybe solve this, but in my opinion ther's no need for a job.

KimAbel

I remember that Mario switched from unlimited to 10000 because of trouble with write back to so many files (dont remember exactly). Doing this in batches would perhaps satisfy this decision and your wish for an uninterupted writeback to many more files. It would be nice to have the possibility for IM5 to work with this over the night.

Regards
Kim

Richard

QuoteIt would be nice to have the possibility for IM5 to work with this over the night.
I agree but I would like to be able to leave IMatch working but do more. Like automatically compacting the database, etc. so that everything is in tip top shape then, if selected, close IMatch and even shut down the computer. The next time IMatch is run, the user would get notified if there were any errors and what they were.

Mario

I have changed the limit to 1 million. Easy solution. If somebody complains later, we look again into this.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Schmidtze

:) Wow, thanks! Of course I will complain later, in about 300 years, then I will break this limit  :D