New to iMatch so a couple newbie questions

Started by Box Brownie, May 23, 2023, 09:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Box Brownie

Hi all

I have just installed the trial and set the database and buddy choices :)

As an initial step I have ímported some test folders to start my learning journey.....

These things stuck me and would please welcome some pointers.

Some of the files have keywords already and have been IDed by iMatch as being in the "Top 50", however to my surprise when an image is selected the keywords do not show in the Metadata panel as being in that image.

The test files had in another programme some IPTC fields updated but iMatch does not show these updated fields?  Perhaps the other program in some way was not 'standards compliant'???

The IPTC fields in question are Author, Copyright Holder, email address and usage rights statement.  Is there a method to globally apply these to folders of files when importing and/or once imported?

Lastly(?), for now.  I have Logitech MX keys keyboard and have 'custom' set the Function keys such that F1 cannot open the "Context sensitive Help".  So, I could custom set that F1 key but does anyone know which for example combination of key presses will open the "help" page(s)?

Many thanks :)

Mario

Hi, welcome to the community.

QuoteSome of the files have keywords already and have been IDed by iMatch as being in the "Top 50", however to my surprise when an image is selected the keywords do not show in the Metadata panel as being in that image.
IMatch imports legacy IPTC keywords, XMP keywords and hierarchical keywords and synchronizes the,.
Keywords show in the Keywords Panel.

Tip: You can see all metadata IMatch has imported for your files in the Metadata Panel by switching to the Browser layout.

QuoteThe test files had in another programme some IPTC fields updated 

Please attach a sample image or provide one via your cloud space so we can check the metadata.
All else would be guesswork.

Note that some applications store metadata and your changes only in their catalog/database and not in the file. You then must perform a special command / task to write the metadata in the actual file so other applications can see it.
This depends on the "other" software you have used of course.

Quotesuch that F1 cannot open the "Context sensitive Help". 
You can open the help system via the Help menu.
No context help, though. The <F1> key is a reserved key for that purpose and is usually not remapped to anything else.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Box Brownie

Hi Mario

Thanks for the reply :)

I can now see (unsure why I missed it???) the Keywords sub panel.

In regard to the missing(?) IPTC info fields....I added them whilst trialling Excire and have found that my editing software (any of them) does not see them.  However, these programs do see the older IPTC data that IIRC I entered when using the old v6.14 of Lightroom.

Frankly, if Excire is not standard compliantly handling IPTC data them it is not worthy of further consideration :(  Right now it seems I don't need to send the requested file(s) and I should move on with iMatch.

I clearly have a learning curve for iMatch :D As far as I can tell I may have found the answer to my question about iMatch applying a Global IPTC data upon import...

If I read it right the area I need to read & understand is the settings Preferences tabs "Metadata Templates" & then ticking the appropriate box in "Indexing".  If so I need to read the guides and understand what steps I need to take to 'get it right' :)

Mario

QuoteIn regard to the missing(?) IPTC info fields....I added them whilst trialling Excire and have found that my editing software (any of them) does not see them.  However, these programs do see the older IPTC data that IIRC I entered when using the old v6.14 of Lightroom.
Excire stores a lot of metadata in proprietary XMP namespaces, e.g. all keywords their AI comes up with (AFAIK). They usually store the keywords the user enters himself in the official XMP keyword tags - which makes at least these visible in other XMP-compliant applications.

ExifTool does not (at this time) support the custom XMP data of Excire and hence it is not imported into the IMatch database. It supports custom namespaces of many other applications, though. If Excire gets enough users, Phil from ExifTool may add support for their proprietary metadata some day.

QuoteI clearly have a learning curve for iMatch :D
Yes. IMatch is more like Photoshop and not like simple image 'catalogers'.

QuoteAs far as I can tell I may have found the answer to my question about iMatch applying a Global IPTC data upon import...

Create a Metadata Template that fills the metadata tags (values) you want to automatically file during import.
Then configure IMatch to run this metadata template for files coming new into the database under Edit > Preferences > Indexing.

You can also run the Metadata Template manually, on demand. Just select the files you want to apply it to in a File Window and run the template from the menu.

For new users, I recommend to spend a bit of time with IMatch Help System, especially Meet IMatch and Metadata for Beginners and of course the free video tutorials in the IMatch Learning Center

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook