Call batch procedures via TOOL menu -> pull-out-menu

Started by ubacher, November 04, 2014, 03:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubacher

The inconvenient way of calling up the batch processor has been mentioned several times in
this forum.

I am proposing an entry in the TOOL menu with a pull-out menu for the various batch processes.
This is identical to how metadata templates are called.

I made a mock-up of how this would look. Attached.

PS: Then it would be logical to call the renamer (also on the TOOL menu) in identical manner.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

Why not just a Favorite instead of polluting the menus?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

+1

Quote from: Mario on November 04, 2014, 03:50:09 PMWhy not just a Favorite instead of polluting the menus?

The Menu has the big advantage of always being there. No need to get the Favorites panel first (it might not be visible and if it isn't, you would probably want to switch back to some other panel afterwards, so a menu is faster and less disruptive).
The value of (good) menus has been wildly understated recently in many applications and OSes. Personally, I am still much more comfortable with good menus than with bad ribbons, icons, whatever. Menus take less space on screen and need less mouse movements.

Mario

Create Favorite. Assign keyboard shortcut.

No need to open the Favorite Panel or anything. Just <F3> followed by the shotcut for the batch processor preset to run. Really easy.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

Problem with favorites is twofold:

1. One has to set up one for each preset.  Thus only logical for the most used procedures.

2. One can not add/change anything (or more important: check that the settings have not been accidentally changed.)

Same for F3 - x invocation. Adds the problem of having to remember what key invokes what procedure.

This could be somewhat eased if one could specify "interactive" when creating a favorite.

PS: if batch procedures could be called from a script (with "interactive" option) we could make this pull-out menu our self.

Carlo Didier

Quote from: ubacher on November 04, 2014, 08:05:50 PM
Problem with favorites is twofold:

1. One has to set up one for each preset.  Thus only logical for the most used procedures.

2. One can not add/change anything (or more important: check that the settings have not been accidentally changed.)

Same for F3 - x invocation. Adds the problem of having to remember what key invokes what procedure.

This could be somewhat eased if one could specify "interactive" when creating a favorite.

PS: if batch procedures could be called from a script (with "interactive" option) we could make this pull-out menu our self.

+1 for your arguments too

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on November 04, 2014, 07:22:33 PM
Create Favorite. Assign keyboard shortcut.

No need to open the Favorite Panel or anything. Just <F3> followed by the shotcut for the batch processor preset to run. Really easy.

I fear that I'm getting way too old to remember lots of keyboard shortcuts. The only ones I ever use in any application are Ctrl-C, Ctrl-X, Ctrl-V and .... ehhh, can't remember any others now  :)
Ah, yes: Ctrl-A and (in Bridge to open ACR) Ctrl-R.

BanjoTom

+1 for a TOOL menu like the mockup, in the long run, but for now a few Favorites work okay. . .
— Tom, in Lexington, Kentucky, USA

ubacher

I have implemented this via a script. Not quite as elegant as if built in but working.
(Plus: allows selection of output folder)

See the scripting section, Topic 3750.

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

ubacher

Hurray!
Since my script did not work in IM2017 I suffered this since starting IM2017.