stack mp4/thm

Started by ben, November 04, 2014, 08:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben

Hi everybody,

my digital camera procudes movie files consisting of a .MP4 and a .thm file.
Can i somehow hide the .thm file or use the stack feature, so only the .mp4 file is visible?

Thanks,
Ben

Ferdinand

I have .thm for my .crw files.  I chose not to import them into the database, under preferences | file formats.  I think that you need to add them as a buddy file type for .mp4 in file relations.  I'm fairly sure that buddy files will still work if the .thm is not ingested, since the same applies for all sorts of sidecars produced by raw converters, but I suggest you test all the same.

If you make this change then you can find all the .thm that are already in the database by filtering and remove them from the database.

The other option is to ingest them, but filter them (Filter Panel | File Properties | Hide Buddy Files).  But if you always want to hide them it means always running a filter and personally I think it's simpler not to ingest them.

Mario

To configure which file formats IMatch imports, check Edit > Preferences > File Formats. If you don't want .THM files in the database, disable the file format.
To remove unwanted THM files from your database afterwards, select them and then use the "Remove from Database" command in the File Window context menu.

If you want to keep them, setup a file relation rule that makes the THM a version of the MP4. You can then use version stacks to automatically hide the THM file. You should also setup a MP4 -> THM buddy file rule so IMatch keeps the MP4 and THM together.

See file relations[/b, buddy files in the Help for all details.

What is the THM good for? For a movie file?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ben

Cool, thanks for your answers.

QuoteIf you want to keep them, setup a file relation rule that makes the THM a version of the MP4. You can then use version stacks to automatically hide the THM file. You should also setup a MP4 -> THM buddy file rule so IMatch keeps the MP4 and THM together
That sounds good, i will give it a try this weekend.

QuoteWhat is the THM good for? For a movie file?
To be honest, i have no idea. THM seems to be a thumbnail format. But the windows file explorer displays a thumbnail even when the .thm file is missing.

Mario

In the old days, Canon stored a small 160 pixel thumbnail of the original RAW file (CRW) in JPEG format but with the .THM extension along each RAW file. This was to speed up display in the camera monitor, and also to store EXIF and IPTC data for the RAW. The CRW file only contained proprietary EXIF-like Canon metadata.  Probably it's the same for video files. Although video files may contain custom metadata (IMatch can show this) and XMP.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook