Keyboard shortcut to change between Metadata Panel to Media & Folders

Started by jarraun, April 03, 2014, 04:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarraun

Hello,

Sorry if this issue is already covered in the forum or in the Help but I can´t find it. When I add metadata to my images have three panels opened: Media & Folders, Quick View and Metadata Panel. Once I´ve finished entering metadata for one image, I have to take the mouse to select the next image in the Media & Folders and then click again in the metadata panel. I think a keyboard shortcut that would allow change between Metadata Panel and Media & Folders would be much faster than having to grab every time the mouse.

Javier from Pyrenees

rainforest1155

Yes, I'm also someone that prefers the use of keyboard over mouse, and for metadata entry, it would be great to be able to advance to the next photo (or go back to the previous one) with the keyboard without having to use the mouse to focus the file window.
I also checked the viewer, and I don't see any panel that would allow me to enter metadata for photos.

Or is there already a way to do this?

Sebastian

Mario

QuoteI also checked the viewer, and I don't see any panel that would allow me to enter metadata for photos.
There is no such thing and never will be. The logic behind these panels is so mind-bending complex that it's hard enough to have them in the main frame. Why don't you use a large quick view panel? Maybe on your second monitor. Works a treat.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

rainforest1155

Quote from: Mario on April 03, 2015, 02:24:04 PM
QuoteI also checked the viewer, and I don't see any panel that would allow me to enter metadata for photos.
There is no such thing and never will be. The logic behind these panels is so mind-bending complex that it's hard enough to have them in the main frame. Why don't you use a large quick view panel? Maybe on your second monitor. Works a treat.
I'm not really looking for that. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't miss out on any alternative way of entering metadata and possibly being able to advance to the next photo without the use of a mouse.

Back to the initial request, here's to hoping that there are other users out there that favor the use of the keyboard over the mouse. That would make entering individual captions and descriptions much faster for me.

Sebastian

ubacher

There are two issues here: One the need to use mouse clicks to set the input focus.
I have a feature request (Topic 4325) for this  inside the viewer: that the "next/previous image"
keys should work no matter what panel has the input focus.

The next is the entering of metadata in a "viewer like" environment. I just recently wrote myself
a script which lets me enter description and then moves on to the next image automatically. So I have
the quick view panel open and the scripts input panel. But I did not have the goal  to be mouse independent i.e.
to make it easy to use with keyboard only. I'll post it for you to try.

There are also two more scripts posted in the forum concerning description/title entry: you may have a look at them: Caption editor
and Title editor.