Move the thumbnails with the scrollbar

Started by ChrisMatch, November 14, 2014, 01:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisMatch

Hi
I think I can see the consideration behind implementing the feature as it is.
If I grab the scrollbar and move it down, I can see the 'timestamp' and decide where to stop.
For some situations this is a clever solution.

But more often I find myself in a different situation:
- I don't know the timestamp
- I have a whole bunch of images
- and I am searching for one that I can only identify visually

Well, there are ways to accomplish the task with iMatch as it is.
But I think I would be more efficient if I could just grab the scrollbar
and pull it down until I find the image(s) that I am looking for.

So please feel free to share your comments.
Don't know if I am the only one who is working that way.

Regards
Chris

Mario

When you use the 'thumb' in the scroll bar, IMatch does not immediately load thumbnails and data from the database. Instead it shows the folder and file name of the first image in the current row. If you let the thumb rest for a second, IMatch loads the thumbnails for the current page visible in the file window and displays them.

This approach allows you both to scroll fast (remember that the File Window often displays tens of thousands of files) and and to locate a folder/category/collection/time-line node in hierarchy view. And you can still see the images on the current page after a second. Keep in mind that IMatch may need to load hundreds of data records from the database to fill a single page - depending on how you have configured the File Window and whether a page displays 10 or 100 thumbnails.

I consider this solution actually as quite clever  ;)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ChrisMatch

Quote from: Mario on November 14, 2014, 02:48:05 PMI consider this solution actually as quite clever  ;)
Hi Mario - thanks for your reply.

Yes, me too. This is exactly what I thought when I first saw this behavior and it definitely has its advantages.

The only problem is reality  ;)
The fastest and most clever behavior is of little use when the task can't be accomplished.
(Don't get me wrong - for certain situations this is definitely a very useful behavior - e.g. if you are looking at images that are spread over many folders)

Imagine a set of 800 images from the same trip where a few of them show a castle (it doesn't really matter - only an example). Now I want to quickly 'jump' to the images with the castle. Normally I would simply grab the scrollbar and move it until I can see 'a castle'.

I think the real reason why I love to use the scrollbar is, that it moves the images 'naturally' through the visual part of the window. If I move the scrollbar slowly, it moves the thumbnails nearly pixel by pixel - if I move it faster, the images still move naturally (only faster). This gives me the confidence of 'having the control and not losing orientation'.
One alternative would be to use the cursor keys or page-down button. BUT this would make the images 'jump'. If the last image of a page 'suddenly disappears' and a set of new images appears (the next page is shown) then I lose the orientation – it makes no visual difference if I really jumped to the next page or to a completely other page.

Jumping from page to page always leaves the feeling of 'disorientation' (where am I?, how far have I already scrolled down?, have I missed a page?)

To tell you the truth - I waited many weeks before I submitted this request.
The difference to the current behavior seems to be so subtle. But it annoys me day by day and I thought it is better to ask for the feature than to simply keep silent.

I knew that this would not be a request that will make you say "Cool idea, I will implement it in the next release". But I thought if many others feel like me, you would find a solution  :)

But maybe someone can point me to a clever way of doing it with the current behavior. How do other deal with this kind of situation?

Thanks
Chris

Mario

Sorry, I don't get your point. You say:

QuoteBut I think I would be more efficient if I could just grab the scrollbar
and pull it down until I find the image(s) that I am looking for.

But that's exactly like IMatch works. The only difference is that it waits one second after you stopped moving the thumb track in the scroll bar (the little slider that moves) before it starts loading the thumbnails and the metadata. Grab the thing, scroll you are about where you want to be, wait one second until the thumbnails are loaded, maybe scroll again. What is the problem with this approach?

IMatch does not load all the thumbnails in the file window when you click on a folder, category or drive. It only loads the thumbnails for the current page and maybe a page above/below. And you can scroll much faster than your disk can deliver the database contents to the file window.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ChrisMatch

Quote from: Mario on November 14, 2014, 07:17:11 PMSorry, I don't get your point.
I uploaded a short screencast to show my point:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7889007/tempSharedFiles/scrollbar_imatch_vs_irfanview.swf

I took a folder containing about 1000 images from a trip to London and
tried to find the images showing the castle of Hogwarts (Harry Potter Studios).

First I grab the scrollbar in iMatch and you can see how I 'randomly' jump through the images missing the castle.
Then I grab the scrollbar in Irfanview and can quickly locate the images.

Of course I am able to find the images with iMatch as well
(my preferred method would be to use the page down button),
but I find it cumbersome to hit the button 41 times.

Mario

I don't have Flash installed so I cannot look at your video. I may look at it another time.

Currently I have no plans to change how IMatch scrolls the file window when the user tracks the thumb. IMatch cannot preload data in this case and filling a page of the file window may require IMatch to load multiple megabytes of data and thousands of entries from the database. This maybe cannot be done fast enough for your purpose, or not fast enough if the database is on a network server or a slow disk, or the user has too many thumbnails to display - you may only show 30 but other users may show 200...or other users have a layout which requires IMatch to retrieve 20 variables for each file window panel.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

ChrisMatch

Quote from: Mario on November 15, 2014, 08:04:22 AMI don't have Flash installed so I cannot look at your video. I may look at it another time.
Your wish is my command  ;)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7889007/tempSharedFiles/scrollbar_imatch_vs_irfanview.wmv

Quote from: Mario on November 15, 2014, 08:04:22 AMCurrently I have no plans to change how IMatch scrolls the file window when the user tracks the thumb.
That's the answer I have expected and the reason why I hesitated to request it in the first place. You seem to thoroughly think about features before you implement them. So there are of course good reasons that it is like it is.  That's a good thing and one of the reasons why we love iMatch.

My goal to post this request was not to convince you, but to get feedback from other users and see if this is an issue for more than one person.
If enough users would join in, I am sure you would come up with a solution.

Thanks for taking the time for even the smallest wishes.
Chris

Mario

IMatch 5.2.14 (released just yet) uses a shorter delay so the thumbnails will be shown faster when you rest the thumb track (about 0.2 seconds). This should satisfy most parties. And you can of course use the up/down buttons in the scroll bar to scroll 'visually'.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator