IMatch UI freezes during background processing

Started by DavidOfMA, November 16, 2014, 07:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidOfMA

On my 5-year-old PC *=(6GB RAM, Intel Core i3 processor 530, Win7 Home), the IMatch 5 UI hangs for several minutes each time it does any background processing. I have turned off dynamic categories background indexing, and file relations operations. Am I missing any other background processing?

Thanks,
David

Mario

It would help if you could add a log file.
I have otherwise now way to tell what's happening on your system or how you get the UI to stall.
Switch to debug logging and repeat the steps which cause this behavior.
ZIP and attach the log file.
Then we at least see what's slow and what IMatch is doing, which may allow us to give some tips.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DavidOfMA

I'll do so if it crops up again. Rebooting and restarting IMatch seems to have sped things up a bit, now that all the background stuff is turned off.

sinus

David,
I guess, you have also turned off the Auto-folder-scanning.
Since then my IMatch-systems runs much more stable and quicker.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

QuoteSince then my IMatch-systems runs much more stable and quicker.

If this is enabled, IMatch just monitors changes in the file system (waits for Windows to send messages about changes in folders contained in your database). This does normally not cause harm.

Do you use Adobe products like Photoshop and LR at the same time as IMatch, on the same folders?

Because, especially LR writes a changes to the file system very often, sometimes after each adjustment you make (updating the XMP file for your RAW wit the new setting - apparently for crash recovery). This causes Windows to send many "file system changed" messages to IMatch, and IMatch reacts on that by scanning the folder for new and updated files and XMP files.

I work that way all the time and I did not see a problem with this.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook