IMatch is now very! stable

Started by sinus, April 07, 2015, 10:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Since build 5.3.12 IMatch is on my system really very stable.

I reported before quite a lot of crashes, since 5.3.12 I had no! crash! Sometimes I have still a white screen, but after some seconds waiting this screen disappears.
I guess, that this white screens are, because I have not a lot of RAM and quite a slow system.

But I wanted only to write, after all my crahs-bugs (collections-problem and so on), that for me IMatch is now very stable and I think, not far away from the rock-solidity like IMatch 3.  ;D

In such a shape IMatch does make a lot of fun and I can let run my workflow fully.
For me all what I would wish from IMatch, are minor things except some small things (what does not hurry).

Time comes nearer, where I will formulate my feature request for a "IMatch - coffee - button"!  ;D
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Carlo Didier

Quote from: sinus on April 07, 2015, 10:53:24 AMTime comes nearer, where I will formulate my feature request for a "IMatch - coffee - button"!  ;D

+1  8)

Mario

Thanks for the feedback, Markus.

The ghosting (white screen) is done by Windows when an application does not respond to user interface messages for more than 3 or 5 seconds. This should not really happen, but does, when IMatch is really busy and cannot spare time to check for mouse or keyboard messages.

Such periods should be short and rare (I even get these in Photoshop sometimes, which had 20 years to mature) but if you experience them often, try to pin down which operations cause them. What did you do at the time? Does the log file contain E> or W> lines? Or many lines with #sl (which is used to log 'slow' operations to the log file for analysis purposes). You can search for these by opening the Log File and then use Windows Notepad.

The typical candidates for slow operations are:

scanning folders,
adding and updating files.
Re-calculating data-driven categories.
Re-calculating collections.
Loading large scopes into file windows if user-defined layouts with variables are used.

IMatch does not need a lot of memory (the log file also tells me how much memory IMatch used) so if you have 4 GB of RAM this should be good. Unless you run Photoshop or LR at the same time, which are both known memory hogs and easily suck up 50% or more of the RAM in your computer. And they do that in the worst non-cooperative way so this memory is neither available for Windows or other applications. Adobe does this for performance, so they say.

Naturally, the larger your database becomes, the more memory IMatch uses, For a 180,000 files database IMatch need maybe 500 MB RAM. Only if you use the Viewer or the Slide Show, IMatch uses up to 2.5 GB (or 80% of the available RAM) to cache images in memory.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook