File names with leading blanks - How to detect and avoid confusion caused?

Started by ubacher, December 03, 2014, 02:32:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubacher

I had another case of file names with leading blanks. Caused me quite some confusion until I detected this.
(I had files with the same name but for the leading blank and was not aware of it - thus making changes and not seeing them
because I looked at the "other" file.)

Some of these files I believe were actually created (allowed) within IM  (Batch Renamer)- but not sure.

First what I consider wrong: IM does not show the leading blank on the thumbnail display (did we not have this before?)

But the question I want to raise here is: Should IM flag/show files with leading blanks? I think the ideal solution would be
if it showed the leading blank as a special character.

Other ideas?

Related to this:
If I search for file names (filter panel) starting with and I enter a blank it will not find the files. If I add another character it will. Bug?

If I search under regular expression using ^ .* (blank after the ^)  it will not find the files either. Am I doing something wrong?

Carlo Didier

The regular expression "^ " without the quotes works fine for me.
I think your error lies in the fact that you tell iMatch to ignore file extensions, but include ".*" (from your other post), which by the way, in a regex, does not mean a dot followed by any character(s).

[attachment deleted by admin]

ubacher

I just repeated this test.
It now works. ( I have done a db diagnostic - which found and fixed errors. Also I have now only one
file with leading blank which I created.)

The trailing .* which should match any characters also works.

Leaves the question as to how to make leading spaces (and trailing probably just as well) obvious.