Missing metadata

Started by Ted, December 02, 2014, 10:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

A couple of days ago I recreated my database and read in my 200,000+ photos. The program got hung up a couple of times during the 48hr process.  I now notice that some of the photos have no metadata displayed.  If I 'Reload Metadata' for that photo the metadata is displayed.

Is there a way I can quickly find all images with not metadata, so that I can reload the metadata?
-----
Ted
Enjoying life one day at a time.

StanRohrer

I might search for Keywords field empty (Keywords Missing). I describe such here:
https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=3820.msg25516#msg25516

Be sure in the Media & Folders view you are positioned at the top of your database when you engage the filter.

Interesting you are at 200,000 photos. I'm at 130,000 and converted into IM5 about 2 months ago. I do wish I had a bit more "hand holding" documentation since working for years with IM3.6 and before. The settings and the gotchas after the conversion have been a bit of a steep learning curve while trying to get out productive work.

Ted

Thanks for your suggestion.  I went to Filters; selected "Value Filter 'Keywords'";selected 'Files with value' and 'Invert the result'  - worked great.

Problem solved.
-----
Ted

Mario

Did you keep the log file from a session where IMatch hung up?
A log can go wrong when indexing 200,000 files and often the problem is cased by some corrupted files, or something that "piles up" when processing 200,000 files in single session, or ...

A log file may have helped to find out the reason for this. If metadata was not imported for some files, there is a good chance that ExifTool was stuck for some files. Or just stuck for these files because it had to process 50,000 other files before, and something went bang inside. Maybe I need to close and re-open the ExifTool process more often when IMatch is processing such a large number of files in a single batch. To clean things up, let IMatch reclaim memory etc.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ted

No, Mario, I did not save the log file.
-----
Ted