Pushing Metadata from IM5 to Photo Files

Started by StanRohrer, December 06, 2014, 07:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StanRohrer

When doing Copy and Paste metadata it is possible to leave fields not filled (in particular IPTC Caption-Abrstract and sometimes IPTC Keywords required by stock photo site uploads). Where a Rescan will bring data from a file into IM, we occasionally need a similar command to reprocess IM XMP data, fill the legacy fields, and push the data out to the files. This command needs to be able to handle a folder or large selection of files.

A workaround for IPTC keywords can be done by adding and then removing a bogus key word such as "test12345". The keyword editor can do this and still keep differing keywords sets within the selection of files. The workaround just takes a little time to execute the 2 stage process.

I have not found a way to do differing sets of Description (IPTC Caption-Abstract). The editor for this field does not retain multiple sets. So to do file updates I can only succeed one file (or very few) at a time. Not useful for a large file selection.

IPTC Copyright Notice is also a concern but my text is very consistent across files and can be a large overwrite job if needed.

I do not know how other non-XMP fields update in various situations. My main concern are these three IPTC fields.

An example discussion in this thread which includes the pushing of data into files:
https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=3847.0

In that thread was a suggestion to write a script to do the job. A script could be fine as I hope I learn the Paste Attributes function well enough to get the data into all the needed slots. However, the situation can again arise and require this "file metadata refresh".

This is likely a low priority request now that I have recovered from my damage.