SLOW attempt at updating

Started by Ted, December 07, 2014, 01:38:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

I had been updating maybe a 100 or 200 images today when suddenly it took a LONG time write metadata to 8
images.  I didn't time it but the estimate on the screen was "19 Minutes", and I think that may have been reasonable accurate!

When control was returned to me - none of the files had actually been updated (yellow pencil still there and now a yellow triangle sign).  Message for triangle sign "There was an error while writing back metadata to this file.  This file may be write protected, the format unsupported, or the file itself may be corrupt.

I then proceeded to press the yellow pencil for each file and it instantly wrote the information to the file - with no errors or delays.

I am attaching the log file - and I also went to the exiftool output area and copied the log file in hopes that may help.

Mario, you always say you need a log file when I don't have one - hopefully you can find the cause.

My PC was not busy during this time.

[attachment deleted by admin]
-----
Ted
Enjoying life one day at a time.

Mario

The log file shows that ExifTool was stuck (several times and several instances of it) for 180 seconds while writing data to one or more files (for the file names, see the log file, just search for E>) IMatch waits that long (usually a write takes maybe 10 or 20 seconds) and then abandons ExifTool, assuming it is not responding anymore.

Your files are on a network server and maybe there was a temporary problem / dis-connect?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ted

Quote from: Mario on December 07, 2014, 07:43:42 AM
Your files are on a network server and maybe there was a temporary problem / dis-connect?

My files are on the same PC, but accessed thru a share on my PC - I've never known them to dis-connect.  But maybe this was the first time ever..  Hmmm...
-----
Ted
Enjoying life one day at a time.

Mario

There may be other reasons. I can only see that ExifTool did not return to IMatch within 3 minutes while writing data. Maybe one or more of the files were locked by another application / virus checker? Or maybe, if you have written to many files before in that session, ExifTool somehow failed with an internal error? But in such cases usually only one instance fails, not all. And when IMatch throws the failed instance out of the memory and starts a new one, ExifTool works, continuing with the file not read/written by the failed instance...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook