File Captions

Started by cthomas, December 01, 2014, 06:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthomas

Is a file caption the same as the name of a file? If not how do you get the caption in for a file because the caption for a file would be different for each file.
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

Your question is a bit unclear.
A file has a file name. What you see in the file system or in Windows Explorer.

A caption is something entirely different. IPTC metadata has a field named Caption. In XMP metadata, you have a description or a title.
IMatch automatically imports this metadata from your image files and displays it in the Metadata Panel. You an also enter titles, descriptions etc there.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on December 01, 2014, 07:26:47 PM
Your question is a bit unclear.
A file has a file name. What you see in the file system or in Windows Explorer.

A caption is something entirely different. IPTC metadata has a field named Caption. In XMP metadata, you have a description or a title.
IMatch automatically imports this metadata from your image files and displays it in the Metadata Panel. You an also enter titles, descriptions etc there.

Mario if you will go to this web site I think it will make what I'm talking about much clearer then I can. http://www.scanyourentirelife.com/best-way-add-description-caption-your-scanned-photos/
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

jch2103

Carl,
The article talks about captions (using Picasa as an example of how to do this). This is also what Mario is suggesting; however, you have more options with IMatch than Picasa provides. In this case, caption = Description.

Go to the Metadata pane on the right side of the screen,  and choose the Default drop-down. That should give you the options for entering Description and other metadata. Select the file(s) to which you want to add the information first,  as the scope of this selection will control where you add information. See the 'metadata panel'  topic in the Help for more details.

John
John

cthomas

Quote from: jch2103 on December 02, 2014, 03:19:03 AM
Carl,
The article talks about captions (using Picasa as an example of how to do this). This is also what Mario is suggesting; however, you have more options with IMatch than Picasa provides. In this case, caption = Description.

Go to the Metadata pane on the right side of the screen,  and choose the Default drop-down. That should give you the options for entering Description and other metadata. Select the file(s) to which you want to add the information first,  as the scope of this selection will control where you add information. See the 'metadata panel'  topic in the Help for more details.

John

After you write in a Description how do you get it to show up under the file?
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

Add the Description tag to your file window layout.
See "File Window Layouts" in the help to lean how you can configure the file window to display the information you want to see for each file.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on December 05, 2014, 07:05:48 PM
Add the Description tag to your file window layout.
See "File Window Layouts" in the help to lean how you can configure the file window to display the information you want to see for each file.

I sorry Mario but I can't find out how to Add the Description tag to my file window layout.
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

Which steps did you perform so far?

- Did you read the help topic on file window layouts?
- Did you create a new file window layout (either a fresh one or one based on an existing layout)?
- Where exactly are you stuck?

All you need to do is to select the Description to for one of the headers or footers.  In this example, I select the Description tag to display in the left footer (below the thumbnail):

[attachment deleted by admin]
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on December 06, 2014, 08:05:44 AM
Which steps did you perform so far?

- Did you read the help topic on file window layouts?
- Did you create a new file window layout (either a fresh one or one based on an existing layout)?
- Where exactly are you stuck?

All you need to do is to select the Description to for one of the headers or footers.  In this example, I select the Description tag to display in the left footer (below the thumbnail):

Mario I'm dumb then a dummie. I can't even find the attachment that you sent. Would you give me the step by steps to do this? I have spent hours reading the help files.

- Did you create a new file window layout (either a fresh one or one based on an existing layout)? I wish I could do this!
- Where exactly are you stuck? Trying to get the Description to show at the bottom of the picture? 
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

Just follow the steps given in the file window layout help topic.
If you cannot even open the file window layout dialog box, please read the help topic again.

Type file window in the help index and then double-click on Layout.
Scroll down until you see the Choosing a Layout headline. This shows you which button to click in the file window toolbar, and also where to reach the Edit Layouts... command.

Directly below that, the help explains the file window layout editor dialog.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on December 07, 2014, 07:28:31 AM
Just follow the steps given in the file window layout help topic.
If you cannot even open the file window layout dialog box, please read the help topic again.

Type file window in the help index and then double-click on Layout.
Scroll down until you see the Choosing a Layout headline. This shows you which button to click in the file window toolbar, and also where to reach the Edit Layouts... command.

Directly below that, the help explains the file window layout editor dialog.

Mario thank you for helping me find this. The Descripton at the bottom of the image is to long and you can't  read it all. Is there away to set it to go to the next line?
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

Just make the area you allocate for the text larger. Maybe 50 to 100 pixels. Same dialog. See the help topic for details.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator